Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to find an independant homeowner's insurance agent?

Posted by jackierooke (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 11, 10 at 15:15

How do I find one? I tried to get a lower rate for all our insurance with State Farm and it was a complete screw up! Now we can't get our first payment back even tho the insurance wasn't supposed to go into effect til June 1 and was canceled totally on May 29. We had one policy with them previously for a home we own and rent out. Now I want to find a different company.

I'm 100 miles away. How do I go about finding an independent that can take the facts and quote me from several different companies all at once?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to find an independant homeowner's insurance agent?

What you want is a broker. But an independent broker won't be able to get you quotes for AllState, Farmers and other companies that sell only thru their franchise agents.

o

But an independent broker won't be able to get you quotes for AllState, Farmers and other companies that sell only thru their franchise agents.
My insurance agency/agent, can give me quotes on Allstate as well as numerous companies.
You might check your Yellow Pages for an agent that lists several companies they sell for.

Sue

o

It is true that brokers often seem able to circumvent the closed systems that many companies have.

Many brokers have sufficient access to the information, so they can give the information necessary to appear they are also brokering for Company XYZ.

So, it is true that brokers can get quotes, or appear to be getting quotes.

To the OP: either web searching or through any other means, find a broker. Ask him/her what group, association, or whatever-they-call-it that he or she belongs to. Get that association. Contact them. Get a few more names from them.

Ask each broker which firms they send most of their business to. No matter how impartial they seem to be, with their quotes, they will ultimately find ways to send most of their customers to a small number of insurance carriers. One way or another, you will be channeled into a small number of good choices. They may all be good ones. But speak to another broker.

hth

o

Got friends who've had substantial experience in the ways of the world and whose judgements you trust?

Especially if in the area where the property is situated, possibly, though sometimes brokers at a distance will give responsible service, as well.

Check with such people.

ole joyful

o

I asked around in my circle and they led me to a few good insurance companies whom I checked on the net. Zeroed in on The Hartford for car and home insurance, 2 years ago; they seem to be fine so far.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here