Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a 'home-brewed' toilet cleaner?

Posted by pammyfay (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 25, 08 at 13:06

I never buy Windex anymore since finding a "make it yourself recipe" for window cleaner.

I was about to buy some toilet bowl cleaner yesterday when it hit me that, for this job, too, there's probably an easy mix (probably containing baking soda?) that would be just as good, less smelly and cheaper.

Do you have one?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a 'home-brewed' toilet cleaner?

yeah... a half a cup of bleach... works great!

o

I use bleach also.

o

Less toxic than bleach...

20 Mule Team Borax will clean/deodorize the toilet bowl. Sprinkle 1/4 c. into the bowl, then swish with your toilet brush. Let it stand for 30 minutes or overnight (per instructions from the back of the box).

To sanitize it after it's clean, spritz it with a mixture of 50/50 water and alcohol, or water and Grapefruit Seed Extract (see link below).

A chemical-free method is to steam-clean.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Grapefruit Seed Extract

o

I just use Ajax or Comet cleanser.

There's just something wrong with having the words "home-brewed" next to the word toilet in a sentence.

o

Oh, Ky! I DID think that was a weird phrase for me to use (but after i proofread and hit the 'send' key!)

"Home-made" sent images of cookies and brownies through my mind, and I knew that def. shouldn't be in the title!

I will try harder next time!

o

I get this vision of soup or stew being made in a toilet. If you had said, "homemade toilet cleaner," I'd have visualized a toilet made out of wood or something -- a homemade toilet.

No need to try harder - always good to see something funny, like the old newspaper headline, "Baby Swallows Fly." Is it about birds or an infant's meal?

o

Well then again... beer can be home-brewed. And where does it usually end up?

I like the bleach tablets for the tank. Keeps the tank and the bowl cleaner. And occasional swish with the brush and occasionally a shake of cleanser, but it's not too often needed. I have so many freebie/low-cost cleaners on the shelf, it'll be a while before I have to make anything.

o

I once had company coming over and needed to remove the ring from my toilet bowl. Had no bleach or toilet cleaner in the house, so I dumped in about two tablespoons of dishwasher detergent, swished it around with a brush, and the ring was gone. I only did this once, but it did work. Not sure if long-term use might be a bad idea. . .

o

I've heard denture tablets work well. You let them sit in the bowl and they dissolve away any stains.

o

I ran out the other day and used a squirt of dish soap. Worked just fine. I think bleach is over-kill -- you don't drink from the toilet bowl.

You can also use a dusting of Comet which is very cheap.

o

Ditto the comet cleanser. That's what my mom and grandmother used, and it's cheap because it only takes a sprinkle, or maybe a tinkle.

o

"I think bleach is over-kill -- you don't drink from the toilet bowl. "

What does 'drinking' have to do with anything?

I also use bleach in the washing machine, and I don't drink from there either....

o

Cleaning the bowl is one part, but what about the tank itself? I would not want to put bleach in there as it can effect the rubber portions of the 'workings'..gasket, etc.

Does anyone periodically shut off the water, drain the tank and then clean it? Seems the rim around the tank at the water level gets the yukkiest from minerals, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here