Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bottom round

Posted by calirose (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 9, 10 at 12:37

No puns here!! LOL I know this isn't a cooking forum, but it is a money savings one.

Beef bottom round is on sale here. Would this be good ground for burgers? How do I blend fat and lean to get a good mix - grind then stir?

Is this a good cut for pot roast?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bottom round

The folks at the Cooking Forum will have lots of good advice for you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking Forum

o

It makes good pot roast.

For burgers, cube it and as you grind, feed in a blend of the fatty chunks and the lean ones.

o

thanks!

o

I purchase both top and bottom round when on sale and then cut up into slices or pieces for stews, soups, etc. With pounding can make a smothered steak but the cheaper types of chuck have more flavor.

o

good to know, thank you!

o

My bottom ...

... seems to get rounder and rounder, year by year.

ole joyful

o

When Round roasts are on sale for a good price I buy lots. Some I cut up for stews and Hungarian goulash. Some I slice thinly for mock sukiaki and stir fries. Some I make into 1/2 inch slices for Swiss steak or beef rollups, and some I use for roasts.

When I cook a roast I cook it frozen. I put it in a hot oven for 1/2 hour. The outside gets cooked and the inside is still frozen. Then I reduce the heat to 325 and cook it until it's well done. For a 3 pound roast it takes 2 hours and 15 minutes or 45 minutes per pound. This method makes a nice juicy tender roast.

As for anything else you do with it besides hamburger. Cook it with Tomato or soy sauce or marinate it, or cook it on low for a long time. Presidents choice has some good marinades.

In addition when I'm cutting up the roasts I cut out any gristle. This is easy to do if you remove the string and separate it along the natural divisions of the meat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here