Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
consumer recommended accommadations online web site

Posted by mrsgym (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 8, 09 at 11:30

I can't remember a web site that I use to check before we made hotel reservations. This was a site solely used by consumers to rate the accommodations where they stayed. It was great, and very helpful. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: consumer recommended accommadations online web site

I always use tripadvisor.com - don't know if that is the one that you are thinking of, but I highly recommend it!

o

Maybe it was hotels.com ??

o

I used hotels.com or maybe it was motels.com several years ago to book a room at Holiday Inn in Oklahoma City. We were taking our grandsons up to the Omniplex for spring break and wanted a place with a swimming pool.

When we got there, we found there was only one bed in the room, even though I had specified with motels.com that we needed two. The desk clerk said because of spring break there was nothing else. Luckily we had the boys' sleeping bags with us so we decided they could camp out on the floor. After we got settled in our room, the boys put on their swimsuits and headed down for the pool, as we had spent a long day at the Omniplex. They came right back and said the pool was closed.

I called to find out what was going on and they said some kids the day before had taken a bunch of hotel soaps and put them in the pool and messed up the water and they were having to wait for it to all settle out, but that it should be opened back up soon. Well, it was closed all the rest of that day and all of the next day, at least during the time that we were there. The boys were really disappointed, and bored, because I hadn't brought anything for them to do thinking they'd be occupied in the pool most of the time. I expressed my displeasure with the accommodations when we checked out and they just shrugged their shoulders. They had one of those "satisfaction guaranteed or your money back" signs and I drew their attention to that and they said since I had booked the room with motels.com that was not available to me, that I needed to contact motels.com and try to get my money back from them.

After we got home, I tried that, and motels.com said I needed to write a letter to the Holiday Inn where we stayed, that they weren't responsible for an unsatisfactory room. I did that, and the manager wrote me back and sent me a certificate for a free stay, which I couldn't use because we're some distance from Oklahoma City and didn't return there until the certificate expired. So be careful with those third-party reservation people.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here