Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Airline Ticket--Where to Purchase?

Posted by ozziepuppy (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 30, 10 at 11:20

Hi All, I need to get an airline ticket (round trip) between Wichita, KS and Tucson, AZ (or could be Phoenix if significantly cheaper). I am wondering how to do this in a cost-effective way. I know there are online sites claiming to sell less-expensive tickets, but I don't know which ones can be trusted, so I am concerned about purchasing from them. I would really appreciate advice/suggestions/comments from those of you who have used any of these sites, as I need to get my trip scheduled for late July or early August (and I know things can be less expensive if they are scheduled further in advance). Any help would be SO appreciated!! Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Airline Ticket--Where to Purchase?

First find out which airlines service Wichita and check their direct fares. Then try some of the services. You may find that the time spent in the air is more than driving.

o

Be aware that you need to book your flight immediately when you get an acceptable price online. The system will only allow x number of seats at such-and-such price, and if you miss it, well, it's gone. So you might pay a few bucks more, sometimes, but you have your seat on the day you want to fly. And don't give up on your real live local travel agents, who have the software to get you the best available tickets sometimes.

o

Wichita is not a major destination. After I posted I looked up which airlines used that airport. There were only about 5. The cheapest ticket was on Airtran and there were only a few left. It also only flew on certain days. The next lowest was over $300 each way. I have driven from Tucson to Oklahoma City in about 12 hours. Wichita is depending on where in the area about 1 1/2 hours or less from Ok City. To get cheaper seats you need to start looking several months in advance. Right now I am waiting for the March 2011 rates to be posted on SW. I will use those as a basis to see if tickets are sale priced.

o

There is a shuttle service between the Phoenix airport and the Tucson one.

o

I always check Kayak.com for plane tickets. If you register on their site you will have more tools to use to determine best fares. Also TripAdvisor.com is a good way to find inexpensive flights. Both services compare actual costs including all fees and taxes.

o

I always go to Kayak.com first.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here