Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Summertime and the Putting by is easy

Posted by mid_tn_mama (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 24, 03 at 10:35

Now is the time, when fresh vegetables are less expensive at the grocery store and markets to put up your own veggies. If you don't plant your own garden, let your friends who do know that you will take extras or will pick from their garden to help them out.

Fruit can be expensive if bought all winter long. I'll be picking peaches at a nearby farm and just freezing them in bags without the pits. Then as winter goes by--lots of peach desserts, pies and muffins.

People who grow their own, often are too busy to deal with a big harvest and will give away veggies and fruit. There is a difference in taste when you put by food that has just been picked.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Summertime and the Putting by is easy

I would love to learn to can but I'm afraid they would not seal properly and I'd end up killing my family. How long do fruits and vegies stay ok in the freezer?

o

Here is a website that describes the freezing of foods.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oa/pubs/freezing.htm

We usually eat all our food that was grown the previous season by the time we have new food from the garden.

Generally, what you want to do is blanch the food, cool quickly and put in freezer bags and toss in freezer.

For instance, lets say you have squash--clean, slice, put in a pan covered with water. Bring the water to a boil and simmer three minutes or so. Drain in a collander, put ice cubes all over it and rinse with cold water. When cooled, place in freezer bags and put in freezer. If you freeze the bags as flat as you can, they stack nicely.

I buy my freezer bags at the dollar store so they cost pennies. I grew my veggies from either 5cent seeds or saved them from last year.

This is very economical.

Food tastes better if it is frozen/processed as soon after it is picked as you can.

o

There is a fantastic forum in the garden website. Called Harvest. I have learned so much from those ladies on canning and preserving! I even bought a pressure canner and have really went to town!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here