Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange County old house or barn for wedding

Posted by bonnieweddings (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 08 at 2:34

I am trying to host a small wedding reception 35 people for my daughter in about a month and m back yard is out of the question but my budget is $100 at the most. I am on disability and am scheduled for surgery soon. I am holding off until we have the reception. We live in Garden Grove and I would need a place I could decorate and have some music and drinks & wine and maybe small sandwiches. I am at wits end trying to find a place. Thanks for any and all help. the ladies on craigslist have been very generous in donating decorations lights a veil and a few other things but Where can I hold it???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange County old house or barn for wedding

Is there no hall in the church itself that you could use, or a local restaurant's back room? Have you actually looked in the phone book for 'Halls' and called to find out sizes, availability and price, plus what might be included, like tables, etc?

o

Did you check your city parks and recreation department? Even in our small town we have several places, indoors and out, that the public can use free, or very cheap.

o

I would eliminate the wine and alcohol from your menu. That would save $$. Is she getting married in a church? Do they have a place you can use? Also check places like VFW and American Legion halls. Music can be recorded. Don't forget plates, forks, glasses and some church will do the reception and provide food, coffee, punch etc for a small fee. Sandwiches take time and can be very expensive. Time of wedding--veggie and/or fruit trays? Just a few suggestions. Good luck

o

Do you mean OC, New York or California?

I'm in OC, NY and can tell you with certainty there are no decent places you can rent for $100 unless it's a private deal. I've done my research for a bridal and baby shower and the cheapest place is the local VFW. Even then, you must be a member to rent the hall and you have to purchase your drinks from them.

Best of luck with your search.

o

my friend got married a couple of years ago and $ was an issue. She rented a picnic shelter at a state park (where she also go married). The whole thing was very reasonable. Friends participated in the reception - one couple bought and cooked hamburgers for a wedding present, another couple paid for the paper items etc. It really was a beautiful day and rather than 'attending' the wedding everyone felt that they 'participated' which was great. Just an idea.

o

I got married in my parents' backyard, can't get any cheaper than that. Mom had one helper, my younger sister's best friend, who helped cook the day before, and helped with serving and clrean-up. I think they made about 400 pieces of chicken. One of the nicest weddings was my college roommate's. It was held in a protestant church and the reception was in the church basement. Very simple food, lots of casseroles. No alcohol.

o

Have you posted this on the wedding forum? They will have a ton of ideas for you.

o

I have checked all but the VFW. My husband is a vietnam veteran so maybe we can join. I also like the park idea. I know no alcohol but honestly, The more the alcohol the more chance of something stupid happening.We could toast with sparkling cider. I thank you all for these ideas I hope you keep them coming I was thinking maybe a vacation home for a day rental might do too?? By the way I am also a minister and I don't know if I can tell you but I have a website to help less fortunate brides like my daughter. I have some decorations, a couple of dresses wedding gowns size 10 and 14 and I am trying to get more things for brides to borrow at no charge. I won't post the site address because I am not soliciting. But I too love to help people just wanted you to know

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here