Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Supermarket flier question

Posted by Marie26 (My Page) on
Tue, May 31, 05 at 19:21

I read that manufacturers pay the supermarkets to put in ads for their products in the supermarket fliers and that they are not always on sale. A recent flier gave the original and sale price, then some products said "card price" and others had only a price with no mention of a sale.

How can you tell which products are really on sale when reading the fliers? Is there a site I could go to that could help me figure this out.

I really want to save money and have decided to start doing it at the supermarket.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Supermarket flier question

Hi Marie (oh, to be 26 again!),

The manufacturers pay the supermarkets to help cover the cost of printing the fliers.

They also often pay the supermarkets for space on their shelves - rent, so to speak.

Read carefully what's said - if it's on sale, it may well be identified as such.

I think that some of the items at least are at regular price - filling up space on the flier and getting the picture in front of your eyes.

Sometimes local ones just say that you'll get so many "Air Miles" if you buy one (or two, maybe three) ... but there's no price given.

I pass over items like that rather quickly.

Nothing beats comparison shopping.

If we're thinkig of non-perishables, I often buy more than current needs when they're on sale. Guess I'll have to store them in my old 1980 van that may well have gone over 400,000 km. (250,000 mi.) that's about had the biscuit - and which I'm worried about putting on the road, for fear they'll pull me over for ventilated body.

I just moved - and have boxes all over the house. Can't find anything.

Enjoy your week.

ole joyful

o
RE: Supermarket flier question

I wish I were 26. That's just a number I picked.

I just wish there was a site where someone has done the legwork and can explain the fliers of the major supermarket chains.

I had saved all my store receipts for the past 4 months and finally put them onto a spreadsheet to begin a price book. Quite a few sites say to add the flier prices to this spreadsheet. I had saved about 2 /2 months worth of fliers and started to input the information. This was the first time I think I actually read the flier from cover to cover and realized that I couldn't decipher which items were really on sale. I thought of going to the stores with the fliers and doing my homework but hopefully, I'll find the information on the internet first.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here