Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone know of deals on car rental?

Posted by aptosca (My Page) on
Wed, May 13, 09 at 17:17

I will be in FL in a week and might need a car. It is questionable if sister can pick me up at the airport. Also I need a car to go visit my Mom in the nursing home. I am trying to do this trip on the cheap because DH got laid off. I can't believe rental rates on cars, even on Orbitz or Expedia.

Anyone know of site where you can discount coupons?
TIA
Clare

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone know of deals on car rental?

We rent cars through AAA or Marriott.

o

we use priceline.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately we no longer belong to AAA. I will check Priceline and the others.
Clare

o

I decided to go with Priceline. I named my own deal. I first asked for a Midsize for $10 a day but got turned down. They came back with a deal for $12 day at Avis so I took it. Not bad savings.
Clare

o

Clare-good deal! I hope everything works out for you.

I have found that rentals in FL have been very high this year compared to summer, 2008. Last summer we rented a midsize, drove Tampa to Denver, dropped off at Denver airport with NO drop off fee, then flew back to Tampa. We had the car a total of 2 weeks and paid $125!! That included all the fees and taxes. This year I can't get anything for less than $350 @ wk + $400 drop off fee and no out of state travel.

o

mustangs - Wow that is a difference. It is always more expensive in FL. Why the fly and drive across country?
Clare

o

Clare, DH and I were following our team to the Hall of Fame Tournament in Oklahoma City then on to Denver for another tournament. We usual fly so we wanted to do something different. It was fun, the team won the tournament and the GPS saved our marriage. Okay, that's more information than you wanted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tampa Mustangs

o

mustangs - Ok, now I understand. Must have been fun. I did a cross country drive coast to coast, 18 years ago. It was fun then but wouldn't do it now.
Clare

o

I came across a firm in the UK many years ago, 'Rent-a-Wreck' where their entire fleet was over 10 years old. Rates were dirt cheap, but all cars came with full breakdown cover and were fully serviced so despite their age the breakdown cover was seldom called upon.

Another option if you need longer term mobility is to buy a cheap car and then sell it when you're finished, and maybe make a few bob out of the whole deal. Secondhand prices are rock bottom now.

o

I too have been shocked by travel rates this year. You'd think with the state of the economy travel would be cheaper. Even our hotel was more expensive this year than last.

Anyway, I found the best rate for a rental car through costco. Go on www.costco.com, then click on the Travel tab at the top, then on the Cars tab on the left. All the major car rental companies have Costco discounts. To find the best deal, you pretty much have to select each company, then click on each offer. When you click on the offer links, you will be connected to their websites, and then you price out your rental. It's a bit tedious, but you need to check all of the different offers.

You should also try priceline. You might get lucky, but I found that once extra charges were factored in (e.g. adding my husband as an additional driver), the costo price was cheaper.

o

Kali, Thanks for the Costco tip! I did get a great price.

o

ooooooo... I didn't know Costco was an option. Thanks!

o

Enterprize will match prices and lower it by 5%, but that may not be the policy at all Enterprize offices. So, I got the Costco price and presented it to the Enterprize office near me. It's a win-win because I don't have to go to the airport to pickup. Yea!!

o

glad i could help ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here