Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Increasing chest freezer efficiency: your ways?

Posted by blueberrier1 (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 08 at 12:53

We raise much of our food and freeze rather than can fruits, veggies and meats. When the frozen supply decreases, we fill the spaces with plastic containers of distilled water, to increased efficiency and to have water if there is an emergency.

For several years, I have been layering double bubble wrap (that had been wrapped around our cabinets), across the tops of the frozen goods in our chest freezers. When I open these, I do not get a 'blanket' of cold air. So, I believe I am minimizing cold loss.

I keep a chart of my freezers' contents and only lift up the end that has the item/s I need. I find that I can go a year between defrosting.

I wish I had an in-line device to measure the KW used with and without the bubble-wrap.

Is there a similar way to lessen the 'cold loss' in an upright freezer?

Any other ideas to increase freezer efficiency?
cella jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Increasing chest freezer efficiency: your ways?

There is an inline way to measure the kwh's used.
Right now its about $18 at newegg.

Handy little thing that can really be an eye opener when you see what some of your plug in electrical items cost you.

Here is a link that might be useful: NewEgg Kill-A-Watt

o

Which reminded me to look at my TV & Cable-box which is hooked to one here.

24kwh's used in the past 292 hours.
So thats about $3.50 on the power bill over the past 12.2 days / or about 29's per day or $8.70 per month .

If I learn to turn it off when I'm not watching it I'd probably save $5 or so monthly.

o

mikie, thanks for the info. does one device service only one appliance or one outlet?

Was thinking that I will call the power co Monday, to see if they have loaners. Otherwise, I think the investment in the "Kill" monitor might be worth it. More research.

When I asked some years ago, they said the devices were around a $100 each. Maybe I was mis-informed-or the price has dropped like hand held calculators.
cella jane

o

It has the typical 120v/15amp 3 wire grounding male plug molded on the backside and a single recpt on the front.

When I hooked it to my fridge I used a short extension cord so I could read it without moving the fridge out of its hole in the wall.

Think I paid 25 bucks for one off of ebay maybe 3 yrs ago. Simple to use, works! I just plug whatever into it and leave it for a couple days/weeks/months. Or quickly hook it up to things to see what wattage they pull when running.

Load of wash costs me a nickle on the power bill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here