Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Voluntary Chapter 7 Bankruptcy?

Posted by DeeMarie5500 (My Page) on
Tue, May 11, 04 at 12:39

My friend just called me and is very concerned. She learned that her sister who lives in another state, filed for Voluntary Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. I've never heard of this, but promised her I would try to find out a bit about it. Her sister does not know that she found out.

Anyone have a basic description of this?

Any help appreciated.
DeeMarie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Voluntary Chapter 7 Bankruptcy?

Nearly all personal bankruptcy filings are voluntary. That just means that the bankruptcy filing was initiated by your friend; she was not forced into it by her creditors. (In some cases, creditors can force a bankruptcy in order to cause assets to be liquidated, but this is most often the case with corporations. Rarely would creditors benefit from forcing a personal bankruptcy.)

A Chapter 7 bankruptcy means that the person is seeking a court-ordered discharge of certain obligations. The most commonly discharged obligations are credit card balances and any other unsecured loans. With secured obligations, such as mortgages, car loans, and some installment loans, the debtor can be relieved of the debt only if he or she gives up the property on which the money is owed. If the debtor wants to keep the property, the creditor will usually permit him or her to "re-affirm" the obligation and continue making payments. Certain types of obligations such as student loans and court-ordered payments or judgments cannot be discharged through bankruptcy.

Bankruptcy puts a huge black mark on a person's credit history, but it is often possible for a recently-bankrupt person to get credit again very soon -- but at much higher than normal interest rates. Sadly, it's very easy for the person to already be again deep in debt just a year or two after filing for bankruptcy protection. While bankruptcy can be a tremendous Godsend to someone who is deep in debt through unfortunate events or circumstances, it can also be misused as an "easy way out" by people who recklessly over-spend.

o
RE: Voluntary Chapter 7 Bankruptcy?

Thank you so much for the information! I will cut-and-paste it into an email for my friend.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here