Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
coupon code explanation

Posted by sleevendog (My Page) on
Thu, May 23, 13 at 11:39

I feel like an idiot but just don't understand how this works.
How does it work and what to look out for.
Will i have to give e-mail addy? (and then get junk mail?)
Is it very simple and i'm just not well informed?
I see 50% off and then what i want is only 10dollars off.
Certainly worth it if it is something i will be purchasing anyway.
But is there a catch?
(i did try the search function but did not see an explanation)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: coupon code explanation

Huh?

o

If you google 'coupon code' you will see pages of links and people saying they have 4, sometimes 10 codes. Then they ask "tell me how it goes!"
When i searched here in the archives, many posts about this and that on-line store, (plow and hearth, (?)
and responses about having a 'coupon code' for a discount to be added at check-out, etc.
I'm just asking if some of these are to be avoided. I suppose so if they ask for e-mail addresses....
I'm sure it is connected to advertising and if a popular blogger that is followed by many, will get products to test, then 'coupon codes' to kick in sales.
A modern version of paper store coupons. It boosts sales of a certain product that you would not have considered buying otherwise.
I'm looking to buy an expensive blender but keep seeing 'coupon codes' and just was wondering...

o

My experience is that most websites selling things tend to have a box giving you the opportunity to insert a coupon code. But coupon codes may or may not exist for that company. I usually go on a brief internet search for a coupon code, but seldom find one for the item I am buying. I have come to believe that the coupon code box is part of generic website design, and does not necessarily mean that the seller offers discounts.

However, some sellers will give you something if you "sign up" at their site and agree to let them send you e-mails. You have to give a working e-mail address and in exchange you may get some money off your next purchase. Some people maintain a special e-mail address just to receive those types of junk e-mail. I have them go to my regular e-mail address and have not had any problems.

There are lots of placed on the internet that offer coupons, and occasionally you find a discount coupon that works. I have used them successfully at times, but lots of them turn out not to work. If you do a lot of on-line shopping, you tend to figure out which ones work and don't work.

o

It is worth a look. I just ordered some seeds from Johnny's and before checkout i did a google search for a coupon code. I grabbed one for free shipping without even clicking on a link. Easy and did get the 10$ off for shipping.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here