Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Taxes

Posted by lilyny621 (My Page) on
Mon, May 22, 06 at 10:29

We just got assessed and are contemplating selling our home simply because of the taxes. DH and I are devestated. How are people dealing with this? We have a rural lot and deal with our own water, septic, and trash removal. What is this economy coming to? Another problem is that if we sell we don't even know where we can go to escape the rising taxes.
Sorry I just had to vent.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Taxes

Lily,

I have recently been helping a friend look for a place. He may be having to sell because of he and his neighbors signing options to sell to HONDA who is looking to build a new plant. He is looking for something in the rural, and we found if the property is our of the district of the brand new consolidated school, that taxes are quite reasonable. Taxes may play a part in where he decides to live, along with a lot of other things.

Might you ask the Treasurer's office if there are areas in the county that have lower taxes? Is the country an option?
The treasurer does work for us you know...us paying their wages and all.

I hope you find something good within reason.

Sue

o

If your taxes have risen high over just the last year or two, there may be a provision in your area to appeal the assessment. That is, if, indeed, an increased assessment is what's causing the tax increase. Call the office that sends out the property-tax bill.

If it's that the tax rate is too high, then your only alternatives are to vote with your feet -- move someplace cheaper or, come Election Day, vote out the folks who made that tax rate necessary.

o

They found an error in mine after the reassessment. It made a difference of about $600 on the year.

They had taxed some of the woods as if it was a lot, instead of woods....Big difference in the value.

Sue

o

you could move to another area of the country. My total taxes on a 2400 sq ft house on 4 acres is less than 900.00 per year.

other than that, appeal the increase and see where it gets you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here