Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pickle Juice, anyone?

Posted by kec01 (My Page) on
Tue, May 5, 09 at 6:28

Grabbed the last dill pickle spear out of the jar and, boy was it good! But then I stood there looking at the jar of pickle juice.

Does anyone have any creative uses for pickle juice? Short of drinking a glass of it or washing it down the drain, I'm at a loss for what to do with it. It seems like such a waste to toss it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pickle Juice, anyone?

Afraid I can't help you with this one. I also just toss the juice down the drain. But, I do save the jar the pickles come in and have that for a multitude of uses. NancyLouise

o

I don't know if you have kids but my kids love 'pickle pops' which are popsicles made from pickle juice.
Also I have a friend who simply cuts up cucumbers and puts them in the pickle juice for a few days. They don't taste like pickles, I won't lie, but they taste good. I imagine you could do this with other veggies, okra, cauliflower...or hard boiled eggs if you like those.
At least you could stretch your jar of pickles a little longer.
We got a great bargain on pickles at SuperWalMart, where they have the large size containers of food, they had a huge jar of those big pickles you buy at ballgames for less than $4. I'm not crazy about them, they are a little salty for me but my husband and kids loved them.

o
RE: brining?

Another idea, I watch America's Test Kitchen and they do a lot of brining, maybe you could do a search and see if leftover pickle juice would be suitable for brining or marinating meat before cooking it. You could always add other things to it to suit your tastes.

o

Over on the cooking forum they're marinating pork chops and chicken in it.

I wonder if you could use it to remove lime deposits from shower doors, etc.?

o
Pickle Juice

Woops, sorry, not on the cooking forum. Here's the link for where I saw it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Allrecipes

o

I've used it for marinate.....not gallons of the stuff but just a cup or so. It was fine. If you can marinate in say Italien dressing why not pickle juice? I also use it when I'm making a salad...just add it to the dressing you are mixing (again not buckets just a dribble or two). I use it alot when I mix up slaw....it adds to the zip! Also chucked in the odd bit of cuke and it makes passable "pickle bits" after a few days. And yes sometimes I do dump it.....MIL used to drink the stuff but I can't say I've gone that far -YET!

o

I love Nathan's Sweet Horseradish Pickles but they are a little pricey. Frequently bread and butter pickles are BOGO so I drain them and add the pickles to the Nathan's Sweet Horseradish Pickles brine. I a week, I have cheap sweet horseradish pickles.

o

Pickle juice is mostly vinegar, right? Vinegar is not good for you, it makes your body retain fluids which can turn into congestive heart failure. My sis went through a period of drinking vinegar in her drinking water and had Mom doing it. I asked the doctor about it and he just rolled his eyes and told mom to stop, it could put her into congestive heart failure.

o

I never heard of vinegar doing that, but the salt content is a big risk, as far as drinking the juice goes.

My mother was a real penny pincher. She tried putting pickle juice in jello salad until we complained so loud she instead just started drinking the juice. She said it was refreshing. Unfortunately, she had high blood pressure. She complained a lot about the cost of her meds and got kind of mad at me for saying that if she would just lay off the pickle juice she probably wouldn't have to have as much medicine for her high blood pressure.

She lived to be 93, though the last few years were in dementia, and died of a stroke.

o

My Mom is 97 and she wishes she could die. She also has dementia and it's getting impossible to help her. She hit my sister and blacked her eye. She can't control her bladder and soaks everything. We don't want her in a care home because they will just kick her out when she fights with them. Been there done that with my husband. His third home was getting ready to put him out when he died.

o

Pickle juice makes a great marinade for beef roasts. It tenderizes and adds flavor.

o

Stargazzer, I sent you an e-mail.

o

got it and answered, thanks

o

Thanks, everyone, for your ideas. I'd never thought of incorporating it into a meat marinade...but I'm going to now! I did drink a small glass of the briny liquid after the OP and I got the absolute worst stomach cramp, worst one that I've had in more years than I can remember. I have low blood pressure so the salt wasn't the problem.

In the past, I've used the juice from jalopena peppers in guacamole, I've used caper juice in scrambled eggs. I just wasn't getting too excited about pickle juice in either.

Again, thanks for the ideas.

o

Use pickle juice in potato salad instead of plain vinegar. Gives great flavor to the salad.

o

I don't know if you're inclined, but adding dill pickle juice to tomato juice (along with celery, hot sauce, pepper and vodka) makes a GREAT bloody mary!!

o

Based on this thread, I added some olive oil and used some as a pork roast marinade....oh, so very good.

I've also cut up some raw veggies and have a few soaking in the juice now.

I like the bloody mary idea....next on the list to try. Thanks everybody.

o

Heres a page for you.
You can always boil some eggs and add them to the juice for pickeld eggs.

Here is a link that might be useful: reuse pickle juice

o

You can add a bit to tunafish, it gives it a pretty good flavor.

o

Wow, I learned quite a few new things thanks to this thread. I don't think I'll ever pour pickle juice down the drain again!

stargazer, I'm really sorry to hear about your mom. Life certainly isn't fair, is it???

o

No it's not. When my husband couldn't find a care home that would accept him after seeing the restraints, I wrote an editorial about the "other" homeless people and it was published in our local paper.

o

When I use the last of my pickles, I just slice some cucumber spears and put them into the pickle juice for a few days. They taste like a fresh pickles. Very good.

o

i keep my pickle juice for boiled eggs , wait a day after letting the peeled shells off the boiled eggs and they turn yellow from the juice my kids and i love them , my daddy use to make this from the juice ,

o

Sweet pickle juice and mayo make a great dressing for cole slaw.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here