Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Electricity

Posted by lucille (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 21:44

This past week I put a window fan in the upstairs loft window to exhaust hot air, and put reflective film on a lot of the windows. Hopefully, that will help save electricity during the summer by making the house a little cooler.
I use window ACs and last year my electric bills were lower than in my previous house where I had central air, I suppose because I only cool the rooms I'm using.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Electricity

Glad you found something that worked for you!

o

I've also used ideas from 'Mr. Electricity'

Here is a link that might be useful: Ideas on saving electricity costs

o

We had a whole house fan installed at our last house and I think it helped, but not enough for me to notice. I love it for taking smells like charred bacon out of the house. LOL I love crispy bacon.

o

This house has a whole house fan--it's pretty effective--I shut the doors of the rooms we're not using, so it mostly works on the ones we are. Of course, once the outside air is hot, it just moves hot air around. At that point, we use one of those portable AC units to cool the room where we are. And our basement is finished so that makes a good refuge that doesn't cost us a penny to cool.

o

I changed my electricty supplier to lower my bills.

o

I did the same - used Tower Utility and now my deal is cheaper.

o

We can't change suppliers here. My electric bill is not near as high as it was at my last home. New home new energy efficient appliances and better insulation.

o

Not all people have the option of changing suppliers--we live in a municipality that produces and supplies our electricity. By state law of municipalization, we can't opt for another supplier. Of course, why would we want to? our rates are cheaper than the other suppliers and in the past 5 years have gone DOWN 4 times.

You do have to be a little careful with going with 3rd party suppliers. Many offer low rates to get you in, but within months are right up with (or above) your company of last resort. Other other times, the 3rd party supplier goes out of business. We did have the option of choice at our last house and discovered that it was simpler, and in the long run, cheaper, not to be bouncing around from company to company.

o

We can change here, but don't. All the competition is HIGHER!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here