Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can an electric shaver blade be replaced?

Posted by shelly2 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 17, 06 at 18:25

I bought my husband an electric shaver. Now it does not do its job as well as it used to. Can the blade be replaced or is this considered a disposable item? If I purchase a new one, can someone recommend a good product?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can an electric shaver blade be replaced?

Is the shaver still under warranty? What model is it exactly?

You can buy replacement blades for Philips, Remington and other expensive electric shavers, but the replacement blades can cost 30 to 50 percent of a new shaver.

o

shelly2,

If it's a Philips, with the rotary blades, you may want to, or they may recommend, that you get a new screen along with the new blade.

My old blade took out some of the fins of the screen, so I'll need both, in any case.

That was some time ago, and I have neither used it nor tried very hard to get replacements.

I don't know where I need to go to find a new blade, either.

As krustytopp says, I think that the price is rather high, relative to the price of a new shaver.

Hope you haven't been getting into any "close shaves" of the other variety, lately, anyway.

ole joyful

o

As krustytopp says, I think that the price is rather high, relative to the price of a new shaver.

Yes, but it's the same with parts to anything else: cars, refrigerators, ...

And while it would be nice if it were cheaper, buying replacement parts keeps your old razor out of the landfill and saves the metal, plastic, and paper as well as the shipping of a new one.

o

steve o,

How right you are - on all counts.

As usual.

o j

o

We have a province-wide phone-in program in our aea 5 days a week, and occasionally they hae an appliance service man in to field problems.

One of his pet peeves is ...

... that fridges, stoves, freezers and other appliances that they made 50 years ago ...

... would often operate well for 30 years or more.

Now the stuff that they make lasts 10 years - if we're lucky.

Modern people are stupider, I guess - can't make the quality of goods that they used to, it appears.

ole joyful

o

Now the stuff that they make lasts 10 years - if we're lucky.

Modern people are stupider, I guess - can't make the quality of goods that they used to, it appears.

I don't know about stupider. Shortsighted, maybe. Trouble is that we've gotten too used to the idea of prices staying the same. The washing machine that cost $100 40 years ago would cost $600 based just on (U.S.) inflation. Yet you can buy basic washers for $250 now. Where did the price increase go? It came out of longevity. The appliances out there which will last 15-20 years or longer cost almost $2,000 now. And most U.S-ians just don't want to pay that much for something they'll leave in the house they're selling in five years or so. It's a choice. *shrug*

o

steve o,

Probably the inflation rate is more than you say - I started work in 1953 ...

... earning $1,900. annually.

They had a national phone-in program on our CBC last Sunday 4:00 - 6:00 Eastern and were discussing the price of gas.

Said if it we priced now as fifty years ago, prob. something like $6.00 per gal.

I wish that I'd had a pen and some paper, for some of the statistics that an economist ran by now escape me.

But one thing that he said was interesting - that base gas price in Canada and U.S. is very similar - something about 50 cents/gal. - and the variation is about a tenth of cent, I think.

Canada has a much smaller population, a lot more roads per capita - and we have rough weather that plays havoc with the roads, as well. Not saying that even most of the gas tax goes to maintain roads, however.

I hope that you're enjoying your week.

ole joyful

o

Well, I used the U.S. Consumer Price Index calculator (available from several Web sites), so, for better or for worse, that's the number I came up with. I'm not even sure if $100 was a reasonable price for a washer back then; I couldn't find any vintage ads with prices on them.

It is mildly amusing (to me, anyway) to hear people in the U.S. and Canada whine about (US)$3/gallon gasoline when it is $6.00-7.00 throughout much of Europe. The problem is that gasoline (and diesel) have been so cheap for so long here that our society didn't bother to think about not having petroleum available at low prices. This has had its pluses, as North Americans enjoy detached-single-family homes at a rate that people in many cities across the world can only envy. But it also causes some hardship when someone who bought a "me-too" SUV or pickup finds out that they're filling it up twice a week at US$60-70 a pop. Pays yer money, takes yer choice.

On this morning's news they mentioned that U.S. Senate Republicans are talking about a US$100 rebate to (U.S.) motorists to help alleviate the high price of fuel (funny considering how much of that increase was brought about by their Supreme Leader, but I digress). Only hitch is that the rebate will be tied to drilling in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge. Now at least we know the actual wage of sin. :-(

o

I hear something about some certain kind of politicos getting somewhat edgey ...

... something about an election in the offing.

Maybe they're wondering, to return to the theme of this thread, whether or not they may be in for a close shave.

A while ago our Prime Minister went to meet the plane bringing body bags back from Afghanistan.

Says he's not going to do that any more.

No news media allowed to meet the planes, either.

Respect for the beraved families' privacy, don'tcha know.

I wonder where he learned that?

Enjoy your weekend, everyone.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here