Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mushroom hunting

Posted by natalija_gardener (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 9, 10 at 18:06

I am thinking about joining some club of so called mycologist(mushroom hunters and lovers). I like mushrooms and after reading the book "Opposum living"(which some of you mentioned here earlier)I want to find some folks who are knowledgible about that issue in my area and may be join them. The one website I found in my area (Western WA) looks very interesting - they have meetings every month, a lot of field trips and othe fun events. But membership is 25$ a year. I would prefer to find something like that for free;-))
does anybody know any info on that? Some web-sites?
Does anybody do that ?
any info would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mushroom hunting

If you do not know your mushrooms joining for a year could be a good trial. If you find that you do not enjoy the group then let membership lasp at the end of the year. With mushrooms what you do not know can kill you or make you very sick.

A word of caution though, do not let first impressions spoil it for you, since mushroom hunters often march to a different drummer. It may take several meetings until you feel comfortable.

o

I agree with maifleur completely.

Do not take any chances with wild mushrooms that have not been positively identified by someone who is an expert.

Mistakes can have dire consequences.

It's best to learn how to i.d. a couple of varieties at a time, in person, with a group. I think it's worth $25.

o

When I was a kid, a local family went mushroom hinting. Everyone died that night from eating poison mushrooms. There are too many bad mushrooms out there. Not wirth trying to be frugal. Buy mushrooms from a good store and you won't die.

o

For what it's worth ... my mycology professors did not do any mushroom hunting outside the grocery store.

When the experts won't do it, the amateurs should stay out of there.

The problem is that - with a few exceptions - there are so many look-alikes and look-almost-alikes out there that you need to pick them in the right stage of development and look at exactly the right part of the mushroom or tell poisonous from non-poisonous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here