SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scarlett2001

Budget busting social stuff

scarlett2001
16 years ago

I work in the type of employment where one set of people have higher level jobs and paychecks and the other (including me, unfortunately!) have lower level jobs/pay.

So now a "Social Committee" has been formed, which is asking for a yearly donation to cover gifts, flowers, cards etc. for people's various life events. The amount started at $25 and has now gone up to $50, since we have a lot of younger employes who are getting married, having babies, house warming events, etc.

They also plan to have a luncheon twice a year, which costs about $40 or more each time at a really nice restaurant. Too bad these luncheons come at the holidays, when money is tight w/me and again at the end of the school year, when I am lookng at what amounts to a 2 and a half month layoff, no unemployment benefits.

Just to top it off, I really do not enjoy these luncheons and if I want to give a gift to somebody for their marriage, baby, etc. I would prefer to do it on my own, so then I have some choice in what the gift is. For example, I contributed last year and the gift was a $200 ugly fake tree!

Does anybody have ideas for how to get out of this gracefully because I'm just not wanting to throw money away on this.

Comments (34)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath