SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miscindy_gw

Vacationing at non-frugal friends' home

miscindy
15 years ago

We are currently on vacation out of state staying with friends. We all lived in the same area for 5 years until they moved due to job loss. Apparently, since they've been gone, we're the only ones who became frugal. The first evening we arrived, we met the 2 families out for dinner--BBQ place family style meal--chicken, steak, ribs, beans, cole slaw, turkey for $65 (plus drinks), but it did feed 6 adults and 4 kids. We shelled out $30 there for our family of 4. The next day for lunch, we are with 1 family--they say let's get pizza. OK- that's usually reasonable--at home we spend $11 and it's enough for the family. Two families of 4--bill comes to $65 again! That night we convince them to cook out. The guys come back from the store with fillet mignon and apple pie from the bakery--another small fortune. Day #3--lunch out (these people never eat at home!) not too bad. Dinnertime rolls around. I say why don't you make your famous tacos? They come back with "How about Q Doba?" OK--$20 more for tacos and tortilla chips!! Money is getting low! We're trying to use cash only. Last night 1 of the wives and I go to WalMart and get some groceries. Tonight will be homemade tacos for dinner. I bought peanutbutter for lunch for the boys and I today--she's at work and the guys ate out (of course). We're headed home tomorrow--good thing, we're broke!

We used to live this lifestyle and now it just seems crazy, money flies out of their hands left and right! It's interesting to see how far we've come since starting a budget about 7 years ago. Even when the friends lived nearby, we cut back quite a bit on the eating out with them--we couldn't afford it! We'd say "Come over after dinner and we'll play some cards and pop some popcorn!"

Comments (29)