Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
track phones

Posted by brant (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 03 at 16:20

Does any one have a track phone from kmart or local store. I talked to a cell phone place and they have a hookup for track phones so they told me to buy a phone from a store and just buy the minutes as I need them. The phone is for my husband and he won't be using it all that much. Does a track phone work like a cell phone in roaming and how do we know if we can get service where we are at. Thanks Debbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: track phones

Tracfone has a website Tracfone Website
There is a place on there that will show you if there is service where you are at.
Basically, when you are in your home calling area, each minutes uses 1 unit of time on your phone. If you are out of your home calling area "roaming" your phone will say "roaming" and 1 minute of call time will use 2 units of time on your phone.
You will need to activate a new card every 60 days to keep your phone active. Unused units roll over when you activate a new card. There are cards that you can buy that are good for a year though too.
I personally like my Tracfone, but I only use it for emergencies or when I really need to call someone and don't have access to a phone.
Angie

o
RE: track phones

I have a tracfone and I think it's the best deal around for people who only use it for emergencies. I got it at one of the 'mart stores and got the $100 card which lasts a year. I think it comes out to around $8.33 per month. I was asking the sales person at the store the same question about if it will get reception wherever you go, and I *think* they said tracfone uses other major phone companies towers so they get top notch reception. (Not sure if that's exactly what they said, so check it out for yourself, but I remember being relieved at her answer.) I had the chance to test it one time when I was driving in a remote area of the Pocono mountains and the reception was fine. I would definitely recommend it. You might also want to check opinions on Amazon.com and epinions.com.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here