Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making airline reservation w/ a debit card.

Posted by Toni_KY (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 03 at 14:40

I am planning to fly this Summer and intend to pay for my plane ticket using my Visa debit card, which takes the money right out of my checking account.

I've heard that some car rental companies 'block' a certain amount of money on your card while you have their car, but do airlines do that as well? How do I find out if they will do this? Should I pay another way? I canceled my credit cards so I can't use them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making airline reservation w/ a debit card.

When you charge with a visa debit card, you are at a disadvantage two ways. 1) like you said, the money is immediately taken out of your checking account, and 2) you may have limited chargeback rights from the credit card companies.

As long as you have the balance, (1) is not a problem. But you need to call your company or read the regulations for your visa debit card, to see if you have chargeback rights in case there is a need.

o

I can't see where airline tickets would be a problem. On car rentals (hotel rooms can be this way, too) the amount isn't definite till the car is returned (extra charges can be incurred). When purchasing airline tickets, you are agreeing to a certain amount - and that amount is charged immediately.

o

jan,
The problem that I hear people call into Clark Howard about is alrlines that file for bankruptcy after you've already bought the tickets. Sometimes there is a way to be compensated, but many times there isn't so the chargeback rights are the only right you have. Depends on who they are buying a ticket with, but nowadays, you can't be too careful.

o

Beware -- I once made a reservation in another city for a car rental using my Visa debit card -- only to find out when I arrived at my destination that I could not rent the car using a debit card. Much to my dismay I found that one credit card I carry with me was recently expired and I hadn't activated the new one -- so guess what? I could not rent a car! What a major pain ... I was told that Enterpise is one of the few who will let you rent a car with a debit card.

I make airline reservations all the time with my debit card and have not had a problem. I usually go thru Yahoo Travel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here