Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
suggested reading

Posted by jannie (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 10, 07 at 12:56

Today's New York Times has an article devoted to penny-pinching in the Retirement section. I read this newspaper for free when I go to my local coffee shop. It mentioned two websites.Bloggingawaydebt is writtewn by a young-ish working mother and Mightybargainhunter is by a retired male physicist who enjoys saving money in creative ways. . Both sites looked interesting. Thought the folks here would approve. The woman who writes blogging away debt has paid off $15,000 of credit card debt and the man who does the other site says his best advice is to buy used goods cheap. Did you know new cars lose 20 percent of their value in depreciation in the first year or two, and at a much slower rate after that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: suggested reading

Will have to check them out...Thanks!

Did you know new cars lose 20 percent of their value in depreciation in the first year or two, and at a much slower rate after that?
I wonder how much it depreciates after you drive it off the lot, or put 500-1000 miles on it.

I'm in the market for a good used car, but it'll have to be a lot more depreciated than 20% for me to consider it.

Sue

o

did you know if you buy a classic car before it becomes a classic you can easily sell it for more than you paid for it initially. Worth even more with low milage.

So buy a new used depreciated car and dont drive it.

o

At what point does a car change from being an old junker to being a "classic"? My daughter drives our old Mercury Sable,it's a 1992 model with 160,000 miles on it.

o

Where I live you can even save money on licensing with an old car. You can get collector plates instead of regular plates. They don't come out to check to see if it is an old junker or a gem, they just go by the year of the car. It has to be over twenty years old. I told my retired parents that their car will acieve "collector status" in two years (LOL) and they can save money on their plates.

o

Yes, but in order to be able to use the antique plates, you are supposed to not use it for everyday driving. You can drive it to and from shows and cruise nights. And to and from maintaining it obviously, like gas stations and car washes. But you will get ticketed if they catch you driving it around like everyday transportation.

It is like this in IL if you have antique plates. My neighbor got a ticket because he tried to cheap out and get the antique plates. He drives his old car daily and got busted.

We have gotten a good deal on carmax car, you can even shop online cars from other locations and if you see one you like you can have it shipped up from wherever (ours was in TX) so you get an even larger selection over what is just at your local carmax.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here