Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I clean up a oil stain?

Posted by rosaearth (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 23, 09 at 11:46

I am looking for a inexpensive way to get rid of a oil stain in front of my house on the street. Any ideas? Any suggestions would be most welcomed. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I clean up a oil stain?

I've spilled an awful lot of oil on the concrete garage floor over the years and regular kitty litter, the type made out of bentonite clay, works well. Let it soak it up, sweep aside the damp and Grind some fresh dry in by doing the twist on it with old shoes on. Or a block of wood or anything... hard to beat the under foot pressure though.

They sell bags of it in autoparts stores but usually kitty litter is cheaper... Walmart huge bags.

o

I would follow that up with some Lestoil...wish I had stock in that stuff!

o

I've figured that the bags in the auto supply store are often cheaper per pound than the kitty litter ... but you wouldn't need a large quantity, and would have a lot left over ...

... maybe pack in plastic bags and sell to friends as "Rosaearthy's Kitty Litter"?

You could even pack an instruction sheet, explaining in detail how to use it.

With some extra instruction to the cats, e.g. "Please take care not to scratch too hard ... hard enough to scratch some of the litter out on to the floor".

Heck ... if you could make the instruction sheet fun enough ... you might even develop a small business, with more and more of the neighbours coming to get a pack for their favourite cat.

And when did you last see the neighbours getting a laugh out of reading the instructions from a bag of kitty litter?

Just imagine ...

... when the kitties have another litter ...

... soon they'll need a lot more litter!

ole joyful

o

I know I'm a little late to this party, but I can't help myself:

When my brother and I were 2 and 3, we tipped over the gallon can of olive oil in the pantry and amused ourselves until half the can had poured out through the tiny holes our dad had poked in the corners with an icepick...(remember those days?) Olive oil everywhere, slippery as could be. What fun!

The oil seeped through the wooden floor boards through to the ceiling of the apartment below. As long as we lived there (another ten years or so) every time the floor got wet it smelled of old olive oil. The oiled parts of the wood got darker and darker, and no matter how much paint the landlord applied to the ceiling below, the stain remained.

We are 60 and 61 now, Mom is 85. She reminds us of that day every time she thinks of olive oil, and how she didn't know what to do first - laugh, cry, curse herself for her momentary lapse, or clean up the floor or the kids.

I bet the place still stinks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here