Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oil delivery Price

Posted by jannie (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 08 at 9:20

I got a delivery of home heating oil yesterday @ $4.01 a gallon! Yikes!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oil delivery Price

Are you able to contract for price in the summertime?

Not that it helps your wallet, but it might "warm" your heart a bit to know that given the heat value, with propane over $3/gal, you're actually getting more BTUs for the buck. (Since propane has about 2/3 the BTUs from a gallon compared to fuel oil.)

Off topic, but I'm reminded of a story... My uncle owned an auto parts business. After he retired, my cousin (his son) drove the business into the ground, figuritively, and people thought they could never sell the property because of pollution. With all the junked cars there everyone figured oil, antifreeze, etc, would have contaminated the ground and that was at a time where the PCA people were getting real sticky. Well, it turned out there was very little contamination - only took a skimming of the topsoil to clean it. Reason? :) My uncle had an oil burner to heat the office and shop. They burned the drain oil for heat. Gasoline was put into tanks and my cousins always had gas for their cars and they had gas to put into the cars they fixed up and sold. And he specialized in late model parts so nothing older than 5 years so there was a high turnover. The crusher came in often and the older stuff and the ones pretty much parted out were crushed and sold for scrap so the cars didn't really sit there all that long. Not sure what they did with antifreeze, wash fluid and stuff though. I was quite young in those days so there's a lot of things I don't remember or was told.

o
RE: Oil delivery Price

I "had" a contract to pay $2.49 a gallon through July 2008. The oil company sent me a letter saying, due to price increases, I could keep the contract and be billed for the difference at the end, July 31. Or bite the bullet now and agree to pay their current price. I chose the latter. And yesterday I paid $3.56 a gallon to fill up my car's gastank.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here