Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do You Throw Out the Sliver?

Posted by ColleenOZ (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 03 at 6:50

In another thread one poster commented that the last sliver of the soap gets thrown out as it is too tiny to use effectively.
When I was a girl, a Dutch lady who had lived through the Second World War told me how soap was so hard to obtain and precious at that time, that they would wet the sliver and "paste" it to the new bar and let it dry. That way the sliver would be used up. I thought that was a great idea and have done it ever since (looking back, that's over 35 years, sigh).
I never throw out the sliver, nor do I mess around with saving them up and remelting and moulding them or whatever.
What do you do with YOUR sliver?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do You Throw Out the Sliver?

Nothing - I use liquid soap because it does not have soapy build up in the tub like the bars do. Kathy_PA

o

I do the pasting thing too.

o

I crochet a little mess bag that I use to put the slivers in. Then this bag can also be used as a bath scrubber.

o

I also paste the tiny sliver on to the new bar. by the way -- I also heard that if you unwrap the new bar of soap and let it 'dry out' for a week or two, it will last longer than if it was fresh out of the wrapper.

o

If you unwrap your soap and leave it in your "smalls" (undies) drawer to dry out, not only does it last longer but it does double duty making your frillies smell nice :-)

o

I unwrap all the bars of soap as soon as I buy a multi pack and put them in a basket on the bathroom shelf. I then paste the sliver onto the new dried out bar.

o

I'm a "paster onto the new bar" also.

Frugal, I guess.

I've heard some say here that they drop it into the pump bottle, with a bit of water, that it melts.

Good wishes for keeping yourselves smelling nice.

jes joyful

o
Duh....

I read this thread as "Do you throw out the silver?"

I couldn't figure out why a frugal person would even think of doing that.....LOL!

Susan

o

I used to paste, but now I'm with Kathy - use liquid soap, and you'll never scrub soap scrum again!

o

Wish I could use liquid soap, but DH simply hates it. Not worth making an issue about it. We wipe the shower down after every use, so soap scum isn't a big problem.

o

I put the slivers in the pump soap dispensers and add a little water. They dissolve on their own and add to whatever (read cheapest thing:liquid soap,shampoo, bubble bath)is in the soap dispenser at the moment.

o

LOL I read it as "silver", too. Then I thought, "Well, they're talking about plastic tableware and whether they throw it out or not. Had this long conversation going on with myself and then realized the topic was soap!

o

I never did that at all until the DH and I married and he is a paster so all the slivers get pasted in our home...

o

Guess I need new glasses too. I read "silver" instead of "sliver"!

I'm a 'paster' too.

o

Oh yes, I wondered why anyone would throw out silver.....I use the bits in the kitchen, keep them for quick little hand washings....DH is a paster....they get used up somehow. MIL has been known to grate the last bits and throw them in with the laundry detergent.

o

Guess we all need glasses! (Or stronger prescriptions) I, too, kept seeing this as SILVER and didn't bothering reading the thread. Tonight I decided to see who WOULD throw out their silver and that is when I realized I had misread the word!

I guess I am not very frugal when it comes to soap because I haven't done anyting with that sliver. Now I'll think about it!

o

I was going to say, "Thinking never hurts" - but it seems to me that often disciplined thinking does hurt.

I guess that my real meaning is, "Thinking is almost always a good idea".

Thinking should come before spending.

Have a great week, all.

joyful guy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here