Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Substitute for tables for Yard Sale

Posted by lov2garden (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 18, 04 at 6:37

We're participating in a community yard sale where you set up your own things in your own yard. We don't have any tables to put things on. We don't have anything wide enough (like a sheet of plywood or old door) to put on two sawhorses (which we don't have either!). I don't want to borrow tables since we don't have a way to pick them up or return them.

We're thinking about justing laying sheets on the ground and putting things on them. Will this work or are there any other ideas? I'm wishing for free & easy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Substitute for tables for Yard Sale

I have been to many, many yard sales where the stuff is laid out on the lawn on sheets or rugs. Makes no difference to me as long as I can see the stuff. I dont like to dig through boxes. Spread away and have fun.

o

Let's see----what about using chairs? Take 2 chairs and use a board or heavy piece of cardboard for the middle section. Ladderback chairs can also hold a curtain rod, or metal rod, for hanging clothing.

Also, if you have a couple of trees that are close, you could use a clothesline thingy and hang clothes on it. I've seen sheets used, too. Sometimes I get a bit lazy, though, and hate to bend down. Yes, I'm lazy.lol

Oops! Another thing you might could use is trashcans, turn them upside down, and again, use board, or heavy cardboard to do a makeshift table. Good luck with it!

o

We strung up a cord, and hung clothes up. I took a couple of old wood blocks and put a plank across it to display things on.

I have also seen things laid out on sheets. But I haven't done it because we have enough scrap wood to rig up display areas.

o

No picnic table??? I don't like stuff on sheets but if that's all you have... We have taken our kitchen table outside to set up too. Kathy

o

I'm not a fan of sheets either. I've seen big cardboard boxes used to hold things. Do you have any shelves you could temporarily use?

I agree with hanging up clothes even baby clothes. I've started buying baby clothes at sales. I hate it when people direct me to a box full of clothes and expect me to to rummage through it. The tables of folded clothes are hard to look at without making a mess. I like to look at stuff and see if it's stained or not.

o

We're having a sale too in June ....... I have so much stuff - never enough tables. We tried the plywood on sawhorses - it sagged ! ( How embarrassing !) As much as I hate it -- I think we will be putting stuff on the lawn . Good luck with yours !

o

Hi all,

If you have a problem with the plywood sagging in the middle of the span, would it be possible to find a (large) cardboard box of the right height to hold up the middle? Or even a small stick - it wouldn't take much to hold it in place.

Would a local appliance dealer give you some of the cardboard cartons that the appliances come in? They are made of quite stiff cardboard.

Maybe you could find some boards or pieces of plywood to put between two (or four) of them?

ole joyful

o

When we were in Italy, the best buys I got at the flea markets were from a vendor with his pottery out on the bare grass..... displaying on sheets will be fine...

o

When we were in Italy, the best buys I got at the flea markets were from a vendor with his pottery out on the bare grass..... displaying on sheets will be fine...

o

At the "car boot" sales in England many people had their wares on a blanket or sheet on the ground. People can just look and pick up what interests them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here