SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dougy2040

geneolgy advise

dougy2040
14 years ago

Anyone on Gardenweb ever signed up for the Ancestry.com online sources? Wondering if you are satisfied with what they offer? Thank you.

Comments (10)

• sushipup1
    14 years ago

Try posting at The Kitchen Table Forum. There are several experienced genealogists there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Table

• grainlady_ks
    14 years ago

I was a member of Ancestry.com for several years and it turned out to be a good deal for me thanks to someone who's line picked up where my research stopped. I've been doing genealogical research since the 1980's and Ancestry.com is just one of the many sources I've used over the years. It all depends on people contributing their research and the public records that are available for research you are doing.

I've been a board member and librarian of a local genealogical society and library. You'll never be able to find on-line all the things offered in these small genealogical libraries when it comes to local resources. But the on-line sources can lead you to the local resources. WIN-WIN! Happy researching. All it takes is time and money (LOL)!

-Grainlady

• scarlett2001
    14 years ago

Just as a helping suggestion: G-e-n-e-o-l-o-g-y. (And a-d-v-i-c-e.)

• dougy2040
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for your suggestions, and scalet 2001's not so subtle suggestion, yes, I have tried lots of research already, just hit lots of roadblocks. That is why I asked the question.... I wanted to know if anyone has subscribed to the service of Ancestry.com and been less than pleased.

• landmarker
    14 years ago

I can get to it in my public library. You should check. Ancestry is awesome. It has all US census searchable by name. In addition many more things, such as draft cards for WW1 and WW2.

• landmarker
    14 years ago

it's actually spelled genealogy. G-e-n-e-a-l-o-g-y

• amandasgramma
    14 years ago

:) - I just learned myself this year that it's spelled geneAlogy!!! Yes, I have it! LOVE it! Had tried for years to find out anything about my father's family. Found them online and a family member had researched them clear back to the 1500s!!!!! (they all live across country and I'd only met them once) Also, for my kids I've been researching their father's side. He's dead now but I found his father's side clear back to the 1700s! And we knew nothing about him except his name, where he was born and his mother's name!!!! It's exciting! Good luck!

• nosambos
    14 years ago

I would start with the Mormon Family Search here...
    http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

Using this site alone I was able to trace one branch of my family back to 730 AD ! After you find as much info as possible here you can sign up for ancestry.com for one month. If you have an easy search and have the time and motivation you may be able to get everything done in one month's time. You should also check out the ellis island foundation as well.

• scarlett2001
    13 years ago

Thanks, Landmarker. I was not as smart as I thought I was!

Ancestry.com gives you a trial period for free, so you can see if you like it.

• diggerb2
    13 years ago

check at your local library, they may have the library addition of ancestry.com in their data bases. I signed up for the free 14 day trial and was amazed at what i could find. best is that after the 14 days end you have a free public member access at ancestry. you can build a tree, do some research, and post on the message board.
    ifd you sign up for the free trail, plan to do it when you have lots of free time during the 2 weeks so you can be on the site as much as possible.
    it really helps if you have all the names of your family, your parents family, and your grandparents families.
    oh, and doing research on line is a great way to loose track of vast amounts of time.
    have fun researching.
    diggerb2
    diggerb2