Houzz Logo Print
andy2007

purchased anything from dollar stores

andy2007
17 years ago

I buy quite a few things from DOLLAR STORES. Some items

are worth a dollar. But there are a lot of things that

do not work, do not operate, are very flimsy. I recently

purchased batteries. I bought three different packs.

When I got home, not a single one was workings. So I

went back to talk to the manager and he said, "our return

policy is very clearly posted -- NO RETURNS". The other

day, I bought two barbecue gas lighters. The packaging is

such that you cannot check it in the store. They did not

work and when I went back, I was refused.

What do you do?

Andy2007

Comments (35)

• western_pa_luann
    17 years ago

"What do you do?"

I don't waste my money at dollar stores....

• patser
    17 years ago

Ditto

• Related Discussions

Dollar Store Treasures

Q

Comments (5)
    Hey Westelle, thought I heard my name in the wind, must have been you. But thanks for thinking of me, will catch you next time for sure. Brenda, not all the 99cent/dollar stores have produce. The only one I know of is the 99 cent store up there in the K-Mart center. I love carrot salad and the deli at the market where I shop doesn't make it anymore. At the $ store they have packages of shredded carrot, probably a good pound in a package, makes a lot of carrot salad! Pat
    ...See More

A little OT..A trip to the Dollar Store

Q

Comments (15)
    Michelle, thanks for looking for us, we are always looking for deals here! Judith, dh was amazed how much we spent on c-ap! My friend went to Christmas tree shops over the weekend, and called me from the store, She had gone upstate, neat Tam, (have you heard from her??) to visit an aunt, and I made her promise to go. I gave her a short list..She is coming back Wed. I hope I find my camera card which I lost,,or I will have to buy a new one!!!I want to take pics of the goodies!
    ...See More

Do products from 'Dollar stores' work as well?

Q

Comments (30)
    I realize that this is an old thread, but I wanted to put a warning out there about this 'Awesome' cleaning product available at the dollar stores, which is actually LA's Totally Awesome. It contains 2-butoxy ethanol which is highly toxic. Please see the link provided to read about the dangers. This product, IMO, should not be used at all. If you do use it, extreme caution should be used. Please don't use it with your bare hands and avoid breathing it in. This product is NOT the same as the Awesome product by R>F> Thompson Company which is an environmentally friendly product and non-toxic, using only citrus based ingredients. Blessings to all Laurie Here is a link that might be useful: dangers of 2-butoxy ethanol
    ...See More

Dollar Stores

Q

Comments (25)
    I'm another fan of Dollar Tree. I think some of the other "dollar" stores are misnamed, as their stuff costs a lot more than $1. I bought some very nice martini glasses and wine glasses at Dollar Tree, made in the Netherlands. I like their Dead Sea Minerals creams (for hand & body, feet, etc.), made in Israel. Their bottled water comes from a domestic source and is pretty good. I like their small yellow "legal pads," three for $1. It's where I go for birthday gift wrap and (sometimes) cards. And I get all my cat litter there. I've studiously avoided their cellophane packs of nuts from Thailand ever since I found a large insect part in one of them (!), but their Monet crackers (from Canada) are great for a party. In my popcorn days I liked Herr's Lite Popcorn, which they still sell at Dollar Tree. Big Lots isn't a dollar store, but I check it out when I can. Their inventory changes all the time, and if you're lucky you can find a great bargain. I get rug pads there, and scored a great latex pillow and some Calphalon kitchen towels once. I always check out their makeup aisle. I get most of my teas there (from England, Sri Lanka, etc.), and occasionally find good brands of health foods in their grocery aisle. I've gotten some great pickles, salad dressing, and other top branded food products there. I do look at the expiration dates. And in my chocolate days (around the same time as my popcorn days), Big Lots was a fine source! Susan
    ...See More
  • steve_o
    17 years ago

I buy some things at dollar stores. I also buy many items I need at thrift stores. At most of them, their policies do not allow returns. When I buy there, I'm careful to do what testing I can in the store. If that's impossible, though, I buy knowing that I am gambling that I won't have to just toss bad merchandise. If it is junk, I don't go back to that store/chain.

• bry84
    17 years ago

I buy a few things in these shops. It's certainly a money saver, and the items I buy seem to work fine.

I don't however buy the more complex items, I buy simple things like paper pads, candles, envelopes, some cleaning products, cigarette lighters, sticky tape and string. Small inexpensive things that cost a lot more in other shops.

• azzalea
    17 years ago

What would I do? count it as a loss and move on.

I buy a few things at dollar stores. They're great for greeting cards (2/$1) and wrapping paper. Sometimes, I find good little cookbooks to give my cooking students there. Things like measuring cups, disposable aluminum pans, and plastic bowls, and such are okay. I don't buy things that I expect to work (batteries, battery-operated items). I don't buy cleaning supplies there, because generally, they are watered down versions of the supermarket versions of the same brands (they're specially bottled for dollar stores, and are of a lower quality).

If their policy was posted, you had the option of buying or not. You chose to gamble--sometimes you win that way, sometimes you lose. It's only a couple of dollars--not really a high price at all for a life lesson--as life lessons go these days.

• pkguy
    17 years ago

I buy a few things but mostly kitchen utensils like spatulas, stirrers, ladles etc. since many times they are the very same ones that are selling at places like WalMart for $3-5. I also buy other notions like stuff as well when I need it, like rolls of string etc.. The tools, such as hammers and screwdrivers aren't all that great but they do in a pinch if you really don't want to go buy good stuff because you'll never use it again.

• cynic
    17 years ago

What do you do? Learn from experience. You state that many things are worth a dollar, flimsy, etc, yet you keep buying there. Why?

I buy a few things there on occasion, but it depends on the store. I'll buy Dawn dish soap there because it's much cheaper and no it's not a watered down version that they sell elsewhere. That's silly. It IS the original version, rather than the "ultra" or concentrated, so that may be what confuses people. But I like Dawn and get a good deal on it sometimes (but not always) at the dollar stores.

Realize though that many of the items there are made to be cheaper. Pens do have less ink in them. Pads of paper have fewer sheets, etc. Quality is virtually always lower. You don't always need to best. Some of their plastic items are flimsier, but for light duty they can serve the need. But I won't buy any batteries that aren't alkaline. For me, it doesn't pay.

It's called becoming a savvy shopper. Look for value, not just price.

• macbirch
    17 years ago

I wouldn't buy candles as there have been numerous recalls in Australia, some due to the flammability of the ornamentation and some due to lead in the wicks. It didn't seem like the manufacturers and importers were learning as it kept happening.

• bry84
    17 years ago

Thanks for the warning about the candles Macbirch. However, I just wanted some to fill a candelabra I have on the dining room table. I don't actually burn the candles, it's a fire hazard, and if I did burn them I'd have to keep buying new ones, which is not going to save money! lol

As for the £1 store here, a lot of the items are bankrupt stock from other shops where it would have sold for a much higher price. There are certainly bargains to be found among the cheaper quality stuff, although cheaper quality isn't always a bad thing. The paper pads for example have twice as many sheets and cost half the price of others, although the paper is grey and thin, but more than good enough for revision and notes. Sometimes low quality and cheap is just right for the task.

• Adella Bedella
    17 years ago

I liked the $ stores about 20 years ago when the things in them really were bargains. They were probably outlets for the stores that went bankrupt or had items that were probably priced too high for the main stores, but worked better in the clearance section. I don't like them now because the quality just keeps getting lower and almost everything is marked "made in China" which means we are shipping our money to China to buy cheap junk.

I've found my best battery bargains at Walgreens usually during the Christmas season. Store brand batteries go on sale for around $1/package. Santa gives these to my kids as stcking stuffers. Also, there is often a rebate for the name brand during that time, sales in the paper, Walgreens coupon, and a manufacturer's coupon. If you can time it right, you hit them all at one time. If you watch the papers, Easter may be another great time for the battery sales since people tend to treat it like a smaller Christmas.

• bry84
    17 years ago

A lot of people are talking about batteries in this thread. Buying inexpensive batteries can seem like a money saver, but over time it becomes quite expensive. I've been using a battery charger and I'm very happy with these batteries. The good quality ones contain more energy when charged than throw away batteries, and you can charge them around 1000 times before they wear out (although I haven't fully tested that claim yet). The batteries are initially expensive, but when you consider that you're not buying a packet of just four batteries, but the equivalent of four-thousand disposables, then it's a bargain. The electric used by the charger is insignificant, probably not even 0.1% of my monthly bill. It's much also better for the environment to use rechargeable batteries.

• steve_o
    17 years ago

I liked the $ stores about 20 years ago when the things in them really were bargains. They were probably outlets for the stores that went bankrupt or had items that were probably priced too high for the main stores, but worked better in the clearance section.

I feel the same way about "outlet malls". There are just way too many outlet stores and malls out there to sell only true closeouts, seconds, etc. I really wonder what kind of economy there is in those outlet stores.

• bhrost
    17 years ago

Every store has higher markups on some items, even a dollar store believe it or not. I've found some items at places like Big Lots and Wal Mart that were cheaper than the dollar store. Jersey gloves as one example - 79 cents at Big Lots - $1 at the dollar store. Every discount entity hopes you will make all your purchases with them thinking they are the cheapest, but they all sneak in some higher priced items you can get cheaper elsewhere to help their profit margins.

• nancylouise5me
    17 years ago

That's why I don't shop at dollar stores. You get what you pay for. Cheap! Cheap! Cheap! We work hard for our money and don't want to waste it on purchases that don't do what they are supposed to do. NancyLouise

• minnie_tx
    17 years ago

I buy a lot of things at the Dollar Tree and "Everything's a Dollar" stores. Most are name brands so I don't see what the problem will be. They also have some nice battery operated tea candles that burn for an hour - nice in votives without the fire.

I don't buy cake mixes or pudding powders but will by name brand chips and cookies.
    The products change weekly or semi-weekly so a trip is a lot of fun to see what's new.

The Dollar Generals and Family Dollars have never been true dollar stores but I have found some nice things there.

• cathie54
    17 years ago

Took me a LONG time to finally visit a "99 cent store" - I don't know if they are still around, as the "dollar stores" is what I've been hearing about and seeing since we moved.

I maybe visited the 99 store - 5 or 6 times a few years back. One time, was for some last minute Christmas shopping for a couple of young teen nieces and misc. I couldn't BELIEVE the total at the checkout! (I think that was the last time I went.)

One year I had bronchitis and was buying "Nyquil" like crazy. Our local grocer had a "sale", but we could only buy max 3 bottles. About $3.??/per each. Next day we went to 99 cent store, and they had generic brand for 99 cents each. So we bot more. I was mad we didn't go there FIRST! The generic worked just fine as the name brand! (Well, then I finally got to Doc!)

But, I have been in exactly TWO so-called "dollar stores" in past 4 years. It's pretty depressing when your tab is $20.00 for 20 items - BEFORE TAX! (Those "dollars" add up really fast!)

I HAVE found a couple things that I got a bargain on...like four cans of namebrand ??? for $1.00.

But from my little experience, I've actually seen items either higher cost than the large food chain grocer, or at least in smaller quantities.

One CAN get a bargain if they are aware of prices and sales compared to big retail chains or even the chain grocers WHEN THE SALES COME AROUND.

Needless to say, I realized a long time ago that you really don't save unless you do your homework.

My Elderly Mother and my son are big on "dollar Stores". I've been trying to tell them... (I really believe it's a psychological thing - REALLY? ONLY a BUCK?!!!)

As far as batteries (since so many posted about batteries on here), I try to wait till Christmas and then stock up on various kinds for the next year - while they are cheap.

Stationary supplies - I try to hit the stores in summer during the specials for "back-to school" sales.

About PAPER - for notes/lists or whatever..."junk mail" comes in really handy for that! As well as the backsides of envelopes that bills come in. I also use backs of copy paper - if something doesn't print right... I've not bot any paper (other than copier paper) for YEARS.

Someone mentioned buying some tools or something for a one time need. I think that is great then.
    All in all, I think if you KNOW your prices and brands, it could save money (IF the dollar stores have it). I personally don't make a point to get to the dollar store to "see" what they might have.

• carriem25
    17 years ago

I find the dollar store is by far the best place to buy hair do-dads. Barrettes, elastics, bobbypins - these things seem to go missing in vast quantities in my home, so replacing them from the dollar store is great. I also buy kitchen utensils, storage baskets, and kid craft supplies there at a good value.

Oh, and gift bags. The selection and prices can't be beat.

Carrie

• sudiepav
    17 years ago

A fun thing to do with a child or grandchild is to give them a dollar and let them select a toy for themselves. (Hand them the dollar and be prepared to pay the tax). They usually have a hard time narrowing their purchase to just one thing, so I look at it as a good lesson in narrowing down a selection. I stand firm on one dollar and tell them that anything else they want will have to be saved for another day. If they pick out junk, it really isn't important; maybe that can be another lesson. I've had great fun with my GKs doing this.

• duluthinbloomz4
    17 years ago

I find them to be good sources for seasonal decorations for Mom's room at the nursing home - cut outs for bulletin boards and big sheets of window clings for Valentines, St. Pat's, Easter, 4th. of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I'd rather pay $1 there than the usual $1.99 or more at Michael's or the paper stores.

• partst
    17 years ago

The only thing I buy at the Dollar Store is Reynolds Cut Rite wax paper. For a dollar its a real saving . It's $2.49 at my local market. I go about once a year and stock up.

• xantippe
    16 years ago

I do shop at the dollar stores occasionally, mostly at before or after the holidays. I buy gift bags (75% off after Christmas!) and mugs to fill with hot chocolate mix for my co-workers, etc.

A new, non-chain dollar store just opened up near me, and they have the best knock-offs of very expensive knitting needles (Addi Turbo for those of you who want to know). And each set, instead of being $8 or so, is $1!

What I do not ever buy are batteries or electronics. I read an article--I think it was in Consumer Reports--where dollar store batteries were tested and 30% of them were found to be leaking. Also, the article said that the extension cords and Christmas lights were dangerously flawed. Just my two cents.

• jannie
    16 years ago

I have too much clutter in my house now. I am trying to stay out of the dollar stores.

• Marcia Thornley
    16 years ago

I buy quite a few things from the dollar store. Especially for Holidays, Xmas, Easter etc. for the kids. Great for stocking stuffers and small fun gifts. I am participating in the Walk for MS this weekend. Because I'm afraid the weather isn't going to cooperate I bought two umbrellas at the dollar store today. Not something I'll use alot so I didn't feel I needed to spend $15.00 on them at the mall. They're great and if I don't feel I want to carry it, I can pass it on to someone else! :)

• cherylnsw
    16 years ago

I often shop at bargain stores, some things are fine others are not. My daughter bought batteries 24 packs of 4 for $5 once, the batteries lasted 20 minutes each, so I rarely buy bargain batteries. Gift bags and boxes are always good buys as are cards. The little table I have my laptop on now is a bargain shop buy, it's a folding tray table and I am very happy with it. Actually hubby wants me to buy some more.

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

No more "dollar stores" for me. Everything they have is a cheaper crappier version of the similar name brand item.

I made the mistake of stocking up on oven cleaner there since I do not have a self cleaning oven I go through lots of it. I also use it on my glass baking dishes to get off burnt stuff without scratching the glass. Well, the stuff did not even make a dent in dirt. Plain 'ol soap would have worked better.

I stocked up on their version of Q-Tips and found that they didn't have hardly any cotton on them and it was like trying to clean your ears with a toothpick. Ouch.

Holiday wrapping paper turned yellow and brittle in no time. The expensive wrapping paper does not doe this. It was also so thin that you could see through it to read the logo and printing on what you wrapped.

Dead batteries. Dead lighters or with hardly any fluid in them that they were used up before a pack of cigs. Or they just broke. Night lights that burned out in no time, and I found that they were constructed so that you could not change the bulb and had to through the whole thing out.

Cheap hair clips always broke. The shampoos were so watered down that you had to use a whole handful to have it do any good. Aluminum foil was way thinner and tore easily.

I stocked up on that brand name tomatoe soup that comes in those plastic jars and they were all spoiled and fizzy. One had a white slimy blob growing (some sort of mold?) on the top of the soup.

I also bought name brand canned soup and it was NOT THE SAME. Mushroom soup that was flavorless and geletinous. I later read in the newpaper about counterfit branding of canned soup. Apparently some maufacturer made cheap soup and put brand name labels on it, just like they do with cheap sunglasses and watches.

The tools were so crappy that an aluminum hammer I bought actually bent when I tried to remove a simple nail. The saw was dull and eventually snapped. I knew the tools were not top quality but I just needed to do a few things, not have a career as a carpenter, but the tools were useless even for light duty.

I would be afraid to buy kids toys there - probably toxic or easily broken.

Arrrgh. I don't go there any more.

• wolflover
    16 years ago

I received this email today and figured it was another urban legend, so I checked it out on Snopes. Unfortunately, it's the truth. It's enough to keep me out of Dollar Stores forever. I've got enough junk as it is.

Investigating Dollar Stores

A news investigation on dollar stores (including Dollar Tree and others): They discovered the Crest, Colgate and other brand name toothpastes weren't the same as from drug, and grocery stores etc. The toothpastes were manufactured in many other countries and are not approved by the American
    Dental Association (ADA). There was even some from South Africa and the fluoride is ten times stronger than what we're allowed in the U.S. (prescription strength). They're allowed stronger because they don't have fluoridated water (like we do). So if we (or our kids) use it often and occasionally swallow it, we could be poisoning ourselves.
    The dollar stores declined to comment and a full investigation has begun. So stick to paying full-price at your grocery store, drug store, and send this e-mail to anyone who MIGHT shop at dollar stores.
    This is a true story. It has been confirmed on Snopes.
    http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/toothpaste.asp
    This is also true of food products, cake mixes, cereal, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dollar Store junk on Snopes

• steve_o
    16 years ago

So if we (or our kids) use it often and occasionally swallow it, we could be poisoning ourselves.

Read your full-price grocery-store tube of Crest/Colgate/etc. It, too, has a warning about not swallowing any more than necessary.

I'm not taking on Snopes -- I tend not to buy produce from outside the U.S. or Canada unless I know the conditions under which it's grown -- but being dangerous to swallow is not a property of only dollar-store toothpaste.

• western_pa_luann
    16 years ago

"They're allowed stronger because they don't have fluoridated water (like we do)."

Not everyone here has fluoridated water... we don't. Pediatricians often prescribe fluoride pills for youngsters.

But, yeah.... they DO have different quality product in the Dollar Stores. Especially for cleaning products.

• huntceet
    16 years ago

About the only thing I like about the dollar store is you don't have to get all dressed up to go there like you would have to do if you were going to Wallmart.

• Adella Bedella
    16 years ago

LOL huntceet We got that email too. I giggled for two days.

• cathie54
    16 years ago

Posted by huntceet (My Page) on Thu, May 10, 07 at 21:46

About the only thing I like about the dollar store is you don't have to get all dressed up to go there like you would have to do if you were going to Wallmart.
    ===================

LOLOL! Too funny! I get lots of junk email in all my SIX addys - never saw anything like this!
    Thx so much for the "belly-laugh"...hahahahaha....

• mrsd1957
    16 years ago

I do regular shopping at $General for the following items: Suave shampoo/conditioner, Suave hand lotion, disposable razors, alum. foil, plastic bags, garbage bags (no I don't need heavy duty name brand - we have to put them into a purchased village garbage bag for pick up anyway), toilet paper, kleenex, candy, greeting cards, disp. alum. baking pans, wooden spoons, etc. I know what Wal-Mart charges and if they're cheaper - they get my business. Almost everything I listed is "name brand" and is NOT watered down, or smaller portions.

• amy_z6_swpa
    16 years ago

I think I've been to one twice in my life. Once I bought a snack and a box of Kleenex during lunchtime at work, from Dollar General. Oh and a couple ribbon decorations for a banner I made when my hubby came home from a summer of military training.

I'd never buy batteries or anything like that there.

• jannie
    16 years ago

My daughter needed a spiral notebook and a gluestick for a school project. Found a good notebook at the 99 cent storew,but no gluesticks. Went next door to druggists, he had a few school supplies but did have 79 cent gluesticks. I wish I had started there, I could have saved a few steps.

• dustyknees
    16 years ago

adellabedella. i think i can remember further back than you. i remember my mama buying cats and dogs and rooster statues at the dollar store. they were big and didn't look cheap. she also bought dresses there. do you remember when the dollar store sold cigarettes? no name brands. and little cigars. we won't discuss ages.