SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Parents on a fixed income...

neetsiepie
18 years ago

My in-laws are on a very fixed income, and FIL is not in good health. Fortunately they have excellent health insurance, so their medical costs are controlled. But their other costs (car payment, taxes, space rent, etc) are not. MIL will not be able to survive on the income she'll get when FIL passes, so we're trying dilligently, to get them to a point where they have more money put back and she can make ends meet without moving in with us.

We've checked with Senior Services and found that they could qualify for food stamps, and a whole bunch of other benefits for low income seniors. But we cannot get her to sign up for any of these services. We can't get her to change her home/auto insurance to one that would result in a lower cost; there is a litany of ways they can cut their spending on 'essentials' but MIL won't have any part of it.

Has anyone else been in a situation where they have to look out for their parents in a manner like this? It's really frustrating for us because if(when) FIL dies, MIL will be stuck with a mobile home in a rented park, and we'll have to pay her space rent until(if) the mobile ever sells.

I guess I'm just feeling overwhelmed, part of the "sandwich" generation...kids leaving the nest and having aging parents. I'm open to advice from others who are/have been in this position.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm