SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seattlemike

Another Product Downsized - Tuna

seattlemike
15 years ago

Just read in the current issue of Costco's magazine that cans of tuna are being downsized from 6 oz to 5 oz by most brands. Yet another example of raising prices with the hopes that you won't notice. They surely aren't going to put a sign on the shelf saying, "New smaller size!"

Several years ago I was pretty miffed when I purchased a couple of different brands of ice cream and only noticed the difference in container sizes as they sat next to each other on the checkout belt. Lo and behold, the old half-gallon dropped to 1.75 quarts by some brands. Now most brands are at 1.75 qts, and I hear that some are moving to 1.5 quart containers. Pretty soon, the old half-gallon will be one quart.

Back to tuna. Costco says that they are going in the opposite direction by offering their house-brand Solid White Albacore tuna in 7 oz cans instead of 6 oz, at the same price. A couple of years ago we tried their tuna because the price was so great, but we also found that the quality of the tuna was better than the usual brand name products. Since then, we have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of their in-house food products.

I don't work for Costco and have no financial interest in them, but found it interesting that they are bucking the downsizing trend, at least with their tuna.

I may be one of the last people in the world to learn of this plight of the tuna can. If so, my apologies. OTOH, if anyone knows of any other products that have recently (and quietly) been downsized, let us know!

Comments (28)