SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
china_cat84

Should I buy a new thermostat?

china_cat84
14 years ago

My DH and I recently bought a "new" home. It was built in 1939 but it has seen a lot of updating and remodeling. The previous owners have made great strides towards improving the energy efficiency of the home. It has new thermo windows, an insulated attic, energy efficient water heater and furnace/AC, and a digital thermostat.

The only thing is, though the thermostat is digital, it looks fairly old. I was told by an HVAC technician that I should look into replacing it but wanted to see what everyone else thinks too. Sometimes those technicians will tell you to replace something when it's really not necessary. Anyway, the thermostat is a Honeywell CT3200A1001. They don't sell it anymore or at least I can't find it anywhere that sells Honeywell including their website. Just wondering if purchasing a new thermostat be be a benefit or just another unnecessary item. I think that the thermostat is still pretty accurate, at least it feels that way, but the HVAC tech said that the older they are the less accurate and energy efficient they are.

Let me know what you think! Thanks!

Comments (10)