Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chia seeds and other questions

Posted by ilovetn (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 16, 11 at 11:16

Yesterday I stopped by a new shop in our little town to check it out. Seems it is a vitamin shop with lots of small bulk packages of different items. After chatting with them for a while, the husband began to extoll the virtues of chia seed. After doing some research, I was floored by their nutritional value.

The reason I was in town was to go to Walmart to get some canned salmon. Before I left, I had been online to check the price at Sam's. To my surprise, not one Sam's within a hundred miles had salmon in stock. Well surprise, surprise, the shelf at Walmart was also empty!

As I have two family members who have thyroid problems, I am more concerned than ever with natural cures for common ailments. If anyone has suggestions for something that has really worked for you, please post.

I would also like to know if anyone has a good online supplier for bulk chia seeds and other items of interest. I would also like to know if chia seeds need to be ground. I have heard yes and no.

Things are not getting better folks. I do not expect anything I buy today to be cheaper in six months. So put back what you can.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chia seeds and other questions

I also would like a source for powdered vitamin C.

TIA

o

The link below seems to be a good on line price, and if you order 6 LBS (the best value) you get free shipping.

It looks like at most other places on line, they run about $10 per LB....look HERE

According to How to Use Chia Seeds they need not be ground. I think any way they can be incorporated into the diet, would be fine.

I'll bet grainlady will have some good input on this.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: 6 LB chia seeds for $27.95

o

Thanks Sue

I had been on that site, but somehow missed the 6 lb size.

I started to direct the post to grainlady as I know she is an invaluable source of information and she is so willing to share.

I also would like to know if there is any difference between the white seeds and regular seeds.

I don't know how that link to Chrysler jumped into my original post!

o
For Grainlady

Grainlady

We recently had a new backsplash installed and I took some before pics. I realized I had a gorgeous loaf of bread made from your recipe sitting on the counter. I just wanted you to know that all of your "lessons" are not in vain! :-) Thank you

Photobucket

o

ilovetn-

Your kitchen is sooooooo lovely and I'm tickled to see the bread lessons and recipe is working so well for you!!! Are your cabinets cherry?

I've been using chia seeds for many years now. They are my #1 emergency food item if I could only grab one thing.... Look for a copy of the book "The Magic of Chia" by James F. Scheer.

I've purchased them through several vendors and look for best price. The first place I ordered them from was the Dancing Algae Company (http://www.dancingalgae.com/) - and several times since. Bill Cooper at the Dancing Algae was very patient with all my questions for him and was very helpful. The last time I ordered I found a better price through The Raw Food World (http://www.therawfoodworld.com/).

Unlike flax, chia seeds do NOT need to be ground to get the health benefits. Our bodies can easily digest chia seeds - grinding doesn't make them more bioavailable. There's no reason to pay more for white chia seeds because there's no significant difference between white and black. You'll find both b/w in a bag of chia seeds.

We had a discussion recently over at the Cooking Forum on chia seeds (see link below).

Vitamin C powder (aka ascorbic acid) is available at most health food stores. I like iHerb.com and VitaCost.com for online sources. If you are using it in yeast bread recipes that use whole wheat flour, you can use Fruit Fresh (found with the canning things). Fruit Fresh is a mix of ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) and citric acid.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking Forum - Chia Seeds

o

Grainlady

Thank you for the compliment on my kitchen. The cabinets are oak. What God put outside is even more beautiful. We have views of the TN mountains from all the windows.

I ordered some chia seeds from Amazon today. $21.94 for 5 lbs. I couldn't wait to get them, so I stopped by the health food store and purchased a small bag to get us going. I'm going to give them a try and will probably order a larger amount for storage.

I have a couple of jars of vitamin C, but I'll be looking around for a good price on a quantity to store.

I'll definately read the link on the cooking forum.

As usual, thank you for your answers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here