SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bry84

Expensive things that end up cheaper

bry84
17 years ago

I was talking to a friend about money savings and mentioned that I buy large and quite expensive bottles of dermalogica face wash. She was surprised anyone would spend that on a face wash, but as I pointed out the bottle lasts about a year, it is unusually economical in use, and it's the only thing I use because it's very effective too. Anyway, it turned out my final expense was much less per month than what she was spending on several cheaper products, and they weren't even working that well for her anyway.

I've been trying a few more expensive things recently only to discover that they do often last much longer and also work much better. Not just cosmetics or household chemicals, also certain foods and many other items. I've recently found that more expensive coffee is stronger and thus needs a much smaller quantity in the cup, which means the nicer tasting better quality coffee is price comparative to the cheaper brands.

Anyway, what expensive things do you buy that are worth it because they're either far better and/or much cheaper in the long term?

Comments (63)

• Vivian Kaufman
    17 years ago

I totally agree with everyone about shoes! I've worked in orthopedics and podiatry for 15 years and without exception my docs say "but the best." Foot surgery is 1000 times more expensive than good shoes. Birkenstock, Ecco, New Balance, Asics, Clarks,...there are plenty to choose from that are excellent supportive shoes and you would never be sorry.

I'm a Birkenstock girl. I LOVE them. I have about 7 pair--every one of them purchased on eBay for 25 to 40% of their retail price. Once you know your size, it's easy to shop them. My last pair was a pair of $150 shoes that I paid $26 for, including shipping. They had a scratch on the leather so they couldn't be sold as "new." Such a deal. I love eBay...LOL

• marvelousmarvin
    17 years ago

Expensive soap that has glycerine. Better quality, don't need to use as much, and they also smell nice afterwards.

• Related Discussions

things always end up on my roll top desk

Q

Comments (15)
    i do keep the roll top desk closed, he isn't incapable of opening it..he still is allowed by drs to drive, yes and NO his dr's would not allow me to get a durable power of attorney as they are encouraging him to be more independent, even though he really has no desire to be. If he decides he wants to take the care by himself and go shopping, he will and I can't stop him..he also has that right..can you imagine stopping your husbands from going shopping??? good grief.. i have asked him to not buy things that we don't need..but this isn't to the place to where we would lose our house as someone said above..we have never had to pay a bill late or any overdrafgts on our accounts..he doesn't spend money we don't have available..just spends it unwisely. i pay each bill as it comes in and we have been out of debt most of our adult life..we don't owe on our house, cars or anything..no credit card debt..so this isn't the issue...this was a clutter post. i just was sitting at the desk looking around and realizing how manyt things Ron had "opened the desk and put inside" that didn't belong there..and yes he buys things for me we don't need, i don't need...but he does it cause he thinks he is doing a good thing. I hate to hurt his spirit..by disciplining him like a little kid !
    ...See More

If You Could Have 1 Expensive Useless Thing...

Q

Comments (90)
    This is one thing but I need two of it. Due to circumstances that will not change any time soon, I have two interior doors separating my kitchen/lobby space from the rest of the house. Ninety percent of the time, they stand open, but they get closed every so often. Currently they are hollow oak doors 30 years old There is a door that I keep visiting when playing around in Menard's custom door display ... a Mastercraft interior door with a molded glass panel. Substituting two of these glass ones would allow light to penetrate into halls and would be much less unfriendly when closed, such as when we entertain people in the dining room and I'm in the kitchen area making noise and smoke and smells or when I grind coffee beans in kitchen while houseguests sleep in a room nearby or when we need to keep a dog from penetrating the carpeted areas of the house. And the glass would compliment the rough Scandinavian-like artglass that I am ordering for four panels of my cupboards also. Each one is about $450 for the size I need, plus Minn. tax. What distinctive, unnecessary thing could I buy for less than a paltry thousand dollars that would serve as well? Nothing else would be as dramatic or distinctive, not even an antique piece or a work of art, don'cha think? Would this door make the kitchen as singular as my (banned) red sink does now? Florantha in Minnesota P.S. Chocolate labs shed a lot less than yellow or black labs. This is experience speaking. Here is a link that might be useful: Interior
    ...See More

Cheaper vs. More expensive Stucco

Q

Comments (8)
    We have the same choice. Because we are building in the sierras at 4500', the choice is clear. What your stucco contractor is refering to is an acrylic top coat, same /similar to dry vit.The advantages are with extreme temperature changes, the top coat has flexibility to expand/contract, reducing the chance for cracks. The flexibility also is an advantage because of the ground movement that californians have come to know and love,(dont know about that love part).The other advantage was mentioned by another is that it can be mixed with any color spectrum ,as the mix is liquid form,compared to the standard color choices offered by the powdered color mix.In the bay area, you should be okay with the traditional tried and true stucco, but for peace of mind where we are building, we are going with the acrylic top coat and a three coat system as there is a two coat application offered.The two coat application is simply a lesser thickness of the scratch/brown coat. The scratch/brown coat is applied, allowed to set for a time for curing and cracking,then the top coat. The three coat is scratch coat applied, sits for awhile, brown coat applied, sits, then the top coat.The three coat system is a little more structurally sound, you might want to run this by your contractor as well.
    ...See More

Rant about life - unexpected expenses eating up my reno fund!

Q

Comments (12)
    Yes, I realize interest rates are in the toilet. But as far as I know, faucets have always earned exactly 0.0% interest. Bank rates always have the potential to rise. All that's beside the point anyway. When your budget is small and shrinking, it's perhaps less important to worry about getting something that's heirloom quality than it is to get something serviceable and proportionately less money. I'm not saying that you should go out and buy the cheapest things you can find, but even decent quality midline appliances, sinks, fixtures, lights, etc. will cost substantially less than a lot of brands that get mentioned a lot on the KF. Most people won't stay in their homes long enough for even those less expensive items to go bad, so it probably won't be worth it for them to splurge on an $800 faucet or $2000 sink or $8000 fridge or whatever. I'm not saying you shouldn't get top-of-the-line if you can afford it or that you should treat everything as if it's disposable, just that it's reasonable to spend less even if the longevity of the product is less. At this time in our lives (we're in our mid-twenties with a baby and another on the way, living in a whole-house renovation), it's more important to spend less money now on things that are relatively easy to replace later. We are willing to invest more money upfront in things of greater permanence (structure, systems, floors). Priorities will vary greatly from one person's renovation to the next, but it sounds like the OP is needing to save on costs now rather than later.
    ...See More
  • bud_wi
    17 years ago

Posted by sudiepav: I have to respectfully disagree about knock-off Crocs. The first pair I bought were Target knock-offs.
    +++++++++

Well, the ones I recommended were the ones from *Payless*. I do not have any experience with the knock-offs from Target, although I do have a friend who bought the knock-offs from Target, and we compared mine and hers, and we concluded that the Target ones were made from harder plastic that did not seem as 'spring-y'.

She was happy with hers though, but I did not think she was realizing the full benefit of the type of shoe, with the Target ones.

• budster
    17 years ago

I buy according to budget. I will say my expensive sewing machine (for us it was expensive) has more than paid for itself. I went with a higher priced model and have never looked back. My regular machine was purchased in 1979 and my serger in l988....both still running strong and in frequent use.

• xantippe
    17 years ago

This is all so true! My parents raised me to buy good quality when it mattered. They said that even if it was more expensive, in the long run it would last for years, and they were totally right.

My problem now is that I am having trouble finding "good quality" anything: clothes, furnishings, and cars. It seems like even the traditionally expensive brands don't hold up as well any more. I've bought really nice brand name clothes that have pilled in a single month! It makes me crazy!

Are the rest of you having similar troubles finding well-made products?

• steve_o
    17 years ago

Are the rest of you having similar troubles finding well-made products?

A key is to do some research. The companies making quality products change over the years. Someone who last bought a TV years ago, when brands like RCA and GE and Magnavox were king, would be surprised to find those names to be mere nameplates now, with the quality products nowadays coming from brands like Panasonic and Samsung (brands which were jokes when GE/RCA/Magnavox were top-of-the-line). It's the same for brands like Sunbeam, Westinghouse, and Polaroid -- just names, all of them.

Ditto for companies which try to reach into new (usually lower-priced) markets. KitchenAid devolved from being the household version of commercial-grade Hobart appliances to being fancy Whirlpool. Levi Strauss' "Signature" brand of jeans (sold in big-box discount stores) does not offer the same construction as their regular lines of jeans (which, of course, cost significantly more).

What I find is that by keeping my ear to the ground and being willing to pay more than a rock-bottom price, there is quality out there. I am vigilant, though, in not buying the same brand out of habit, because I've seen too many of them cheapen themselves to sell more or to meet investor demand.

• bry84
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Regarding finding quality items, it's harder now. The best way to avoid bad items that don't work so great or last so long as you might hope is to research something in detail. The good news is when you're rarely replacing things this shouldn't be a major time commitment.

Too many people just walk in to a shop and buy something, anything, whatever they find that looks nice. It's no surprise they get a bad deal. I've known people buy the same brand two or three times in a row despite having been unhappy with it the first time around, and the second! Shopping wisely takes some effort.

Anyway, the best way to find the truth is to ask people who should know something about it. People who work in the industry you're buying from are the best. I don't mean salespeople, they're just out on the shop floor with whatever products got ordered. I mean people like repair men and those who work in smaller independent appliance stores. I'm talking about a specific type of store, it's hard to explain it, but I'm sure anyone who has visited one knows what I mean. The type of place where they have years of knowledge and genuine enthusiasm for their products. Ok, so these places tend to be more expensive than the big bland chain stores, but you get a lot more for your extra money and it does pay in the end. You don't save much through buying the wrong item and having it break too soon, no matter how cheap it was.

Also talk to other people. Their experiences are very informative. You'll probably start to notice the same names coming up again and again, and people having much the same views on them too.

Magazine reviews and buying guides are good too.

I spend a lot of time on a big purchase, and often a lot more money than many seemingly comparative items cost, but then again I don't buy a lot of things because they last a very long time. That makes it more than worth it, and I believe the end cost to me is much less too.

• mirren
    17 years ago

I just want to chime in here re the shoes. I also have problems with my feet. My Blue Cross will pay $150 every second calendar year for certain shoes. They pay for Birks, Danskos, New Balance and MPT. For some reason I cant wear the Danskos but I wish I could they have so many cute styles. However, I recently bought a pair of Aravon. I hope they will be comfortable. They are made by New Balance. I also can wear Crocs but I wear the original ones, not knockoffs. Also Clarks, they are a wonderful shoe. I do buy them too and have worn them for years.

• jrdwyer
    17 years ago

Shoes- buy what fits and DO NOT buy the cheapest model available. I've found New Balance to be good fitting and moderately well-built with a wide toe area and quite a few widths available. I try to get 2 years out of a pair of court/walking shoes (worn almost every day) before the soles are totally gone. I try to buy them on clearance online. I know which models fit my foot well.

For boots, Danner is a great choice for fit and they are still made in the USA. When the soles wear out, they can be replaced. Danner discloses the last number for their boots to allow a consumer to know if different models fit the same. I wish all shoe manufactures did this. Red Wing is similar to Danner, but I find the fit not as good for my feet (to narrow in the toes). You can pay $200 for a good pair of boots that last 3-4 years before needing resoling ($50-$100) or pay $50-$100 for disposable boot that last 1-2 years and then get tossed out.

• evaf555
    17 years ago

"Ditto for companies which try to reach into new (usually lower-priced) markets. KitchenAid devolved from being the household version of commercial-grade Hobart appliances to being fancy Whirlpool. Levi Strauss' "Signature" brand of jeans (sold in big-box discount stores) does not offer the same construction as their regular lines of jeans (which, of course, cost significantly more)."

Just so you know: When one buys a "name brand" item in a big box store, it may not be made by the brand, and although there are some standards it adheres to, it may not be the "name brand" regular standards but the "Big Box" standards. That way it can be manufactured to come it under a certain price point. The DeWalt drill from the big box is likely not the same quality as the very similar model at a local store.

• bry84
    Original Author
    17 years ago

A number of companies are having their cheaper lines made for them by other companies. I would avoid these items, they cost more than generic no-name items, but are in fact generic no-name items under the label. Customers would be justified for feeling a little deceived over this.

Regardless if it's right or not, we buy brands because we believe they have certain standards of manufacture. However, I know that quite recently (the late 1990s) a number of video players on the market were the same model with a different front panel. They also had very different prices and marketing behind them. One company with no name was selling them as budget models, while another somewhat established name was selling them as fairly expensive items with a big emphasis on quality and features.

Another example is the contact lens company who were making and selling long lasting lenses, but then decided to break in to the disposable market by simply packaging their existing lenses as disposables. They went to court and were fined for it, but I'm sure many equally dubious business tactics do not break the law and thus continue with consumers oblivious.

Similarly, a friend of mine used to work at a chocolate factory where the exact same chocolates would go in to both store brand boxes and expensive luxury brand boxes.

It's yet another case of consumers beware, all is not what it seems. I feel it's fair to say we no longer buy items, we're buying advertising and branding with items attached. Many of today's 'consumer choices' are simply deciding how you want the same mass produced items packaged and branded - and how much you want to pay for them.

• joyfulguy
    17 years ago

You don't necessarily ...

... get what you pay for.

Or thought you did!

ole joyful

• steve_o
    17 years ago

"You always pay for what you get. Sometimes you get what you pay for."

• cynic
    17 years ago

Some good comments here. And it bears repeating that just because it's cheap, does NOT necessarily mean it's bad and conversely, just because it's expensive does NOT necessarily mean it's good. I've come to despise the cliche about getting what you pay for. Sometimes you pay little and get a lot. Sometimes you pay a lot and get a little. Sometimes you get lucky.

My cousin is a painter and I learned from him a long time ago that the theory about the huge differences in paint is a lot of myth. If you apply the paint correctly, there's little difference. I've found this to be true. He told me some of the differences are that the more expensive paints are made to be applied by amateurs and incorrectly so they take steps to cover for it. After buying paint priced at 2 gal for $5 (white only - it was barn trim paint) it was some of the best paint I've ever had. Lasted longer than the "premium" paints used before. Not surprised though since "theoretically" a barn paint would hopefully be a little tougher. Course I had to pay much more for the trim paint!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, quit shopping for price, rather shop for value. That philosophy has served me well. Couple examples: I have limited needs when it comes to a dryer. But I was able to spend $50 more and get a far, far better dryer than originally intended. Having researched dryers I knew the good from the bad. I'm comfortable that I got a far better value, even though the cheaper one would likely have served my needs more than adequately. However at a picnic last summer, I needed a knife to cut a watermelon. I could have bought a $75 Henckel's knife, but opted for the $1 "dollar store" special! It served its need as well as the expensive one and gave far better value.

This is a good thread and I hope I'm not arguing syntax. Don't intend to. But I'm bothered by terms like "expensive" and "cheap". They're such relative terms. As illustrated by many examples here, sometimes spending $10 gets far more value than spending $5. Sometimes spending $5 can cost you $10 more down the road too. To me, the latter is much more expensive. If I can go back to my mantra, value. But to really enjoy the benefits of it, you need to stay informed. That's what's great about these forums. Great exchange of info and education.

Keep being savvy shoppers folks! Happy springtime to all!

• valtog
    17 years ago

A good quality knife, properly cared for, will last a lifetime. However, it would be silly to buy one just to cut up a watermelon at a picnic:)

• joyfulguy
    17 years ago

Different people have different views of "value".

And we get a variety of viewpoints here.

I figure that it's a pretty unfortunate day when I can't learn something.

ole joyful

• michelle_phxaz
    17 years ago

I have to agree about buying good knives; I have two sets of steak knives, one was about $10 for 6, the others are Henckles which were on sale at $30 for 4. The set of 6 we are tossing out one by one because the blades are coming out of their handles and starting to rust. The Henckles look and work like they are brand new.

I won't skimp on sheets or toilet paper.

• parrot_phan
    17 years ago

Quality can also be had by purchasing USED. I've bought very nice, year-or-two old cars used, letting the original owner take the big depreciation that comes with driving a new vehicle off the dealer's lot. I've bought gently-used, high-end appliances (dryer, dishwasher, and fridge) for far less than a lower-quality new one.

I've been replacing my aging kitchen appliances of late. So many folks in my area are "upgrading" to stainless steel appliances and ridding themselves of their virtually new white ones. I recently paid $200 for a 9-month-old dishwasher (installed in a weekend home), a quiet Energy Star model that retailed for more than $500.

• cherylnsw
    17 years ago

Clothes washing detergent, when shopping we would always buy the cheapest brand there was. Then I got a free sample of a more expensive brand, after reading the directions I realised that the full dose was much less than the cheap brand. Not only that was the fact that for a front loader the dose was cut to 1 quarter, meaning 4 washes per full dose. The box does 80 loads for me and only costs about $3 more than the old brand which I got less than 20 loads from.

I agree with shoes, while my kids feet were growing so quick I bought mainly cheap shoes. My son is very hard on his shoes and lately I've bought him more expensive shoes, they have lasted very well. Usually he goes through the tops within weeks, then the soles fall off, he's worn the new pair for months and no problems.

• jakabedy
    17 years ago

I know this isn't truly a "shoe" thread, but I have to pipe in. I'm a devotee of Ariat shoes. They originally made only equestrian footwear but now have a lot of clogs, mules and even cute sandals. I LOVE these shoes and they last forever. Check ebay for deals -- they retail for $100+ in most places.

• valtog
    17 years ago

I knew I recognized that name and couldn't place from where. Then I realized they made my daughter's paddock boots. She said that they are very warm and comfortable and she will outgrow them before she wears them out, which is nice in this day and age:)

• arichard21
    17 years ago

i agree for sure on the laundry detergent and paint. with detergent, theres a brand here, i forget the name, but it is 2.99 and will do 60 loads. we bought tide once for 5.99, got at least 80 loads and the clothes were MUCH cleaner. after that i was willing to spend the extra!

and we have def learned our lesson with paint and the rollers/brushes used to put it on. cheap rollers make more work!

• macbirch
    17 years ago

Xantippe, Steve o and Bry84, good points about finding quality.

I have to figure out what to do about replacing a leaking tap. We're in drought and have water restrictions so I have to do it soon. When I was a kid my dad would've replaced the washer. We can't find a way in to do that and the manufacturer's tech assistance line said even if we do the thing may be so siezed up that it may be impossible anyway. Given the cost of getting a plumber out it seems worth it to get an expensive new tap set with a decent warranty. Do we pay for a plumber to try to replace the washer. Do we resign ourselves to getting new taps. Should we change the bathroom to match.

If we get new taps the choice seems to be cheap with a pathetic warranty and apparently the risk that spare parts will be unavailable even during the warranty period, or expensive with a range of warranties from pretty good to really impressive. The best are mixers but our basin has three holes for a spout and two taps. So would it be worth changing the basin. Could we just change the top. There doesn't seem to be a cheap fix (replace washer yourself) or a reasonable fix (pay for a plumber to install a reasonably reliable mid-priced brand).

As in so many things these days it's hard to find a reasonable mid-priced option. And as Xantippe said, not all the expensive brands are that good any more. As Bry84 said, we're not buying items but branding and advertising. So I need to try to find out which expensive tapware is really worth it. In the meantime, my tap is still dripping which is wasting water and costing me money. All I know is, once this is fixed I don't want to be calling the plumber back out anytime soon!

Oops, sorry about the rant. It's just so frustrating.

As for other products, we feel it's worth it to pay more for kitchen knives, paint, shampoo, shoes, sheets, towels, yeah quite a few things.

• steve_o
    17 years ago

You don't say which tap needs replacing. I can tell you that you don't have to spend a fortune to get a faucet which will last a long time (probably longer than you care to look at it). If you avoid the big-box home-improvement store loss leaders, there are some quality faucets by companies like Moen and Delta which will last for years and, in some cases, are backed by lifetime warranties. In kitchens, for example, you need to spend at least US$100 to avoid the junk, but really don't have to spend more than US$150-200 for a very-good-quality faucet; you can spend more if you want a fancy finish or style, but what you'll buy at that price point will last for years.

As for the multiple-hole question, many faucets are built big enough to cover three holes, if they exist, or you can buy adapter plates (in different finishes) which cover the holes and fit the faucet you purchased. That should give you a slightly wider range of choices and will not require you to replace the basin at this time.

• LorettaF
    17 years ago

I find quality, name-brand clothing for cheap at Goodwill, thrift stores, and Ebay. They wear much better than the cheap clothing and last longer, too.

We buy older, used appliances when we can, too. We paid $50 for the older Kenmore washer and dryer (from the 80's) and they have lasted 5 years now without a problem! That was $50 for the PAIR, not each! The last 3 new washers we bought only lasted 4-5 years each and we paid full price for them! The older models just seem to be made better and can be bought for a steal of a price as people update their appliances. The older ones are easier and cheaper to fix, too...more basic parts.

We also buy used, reliable cars and let the original owners bite the depreciation bullet. We pay cash for our cars and get them serviced regularly by our reliable mechanic.

We like to buy our furniture at estate auctions and yard sales. If you know what to look for in quality construction, you can get excellent, well-made furniture that will last longer than you will!

• joyfulguy
    17 years ago

Hello macbirch,

I haven't quite decided how much enthusiasm you have for fixing your current taps, or whether you've pretty well decided that it's time for new.

It seems to me not a heavy duty problem to turn the water off, open up the cover of the tap and find out what may be wrong and whether you may be able to fix it.

If the seat is warped, jagged or whatever to have become rough, you'll need a reamer to grind off the rough stuff and make the seat smooth again, but that's not a big job. If you ask around among friends, you may be able to find one. Or get one at a plumbing supply place.

If you've acted on my suggestion to write down all of your friends names from way back when, with phone and email, it would be easy to send an email to all the ones who live nearby to look for one to borrow ... but you can't take the gasoline to drive too far (plus second trip to return it) ... unless you'd like an excuse to visit that friend, anyway.

That's in the off chance that you may need a reamer - quite often all that you need is a washer that fits at the bottom of the control shaft, held in place with a screw (which may have corroded). If corroded, probably treat with some WD-40 before trying to move it.

About a half dollar ... plus about an hour's work, maybe.

I hope that you have an enjoyable autumn weekend.

ole joyful

• macbirch
    17 years ago

Thanks Steve. I keep forgetting my location shows up on GW but not THS. I'm in Australia. I was a bit hopeful about Moen as it sounded vaguely familiar and when I went to their site there was a location finder where you could specify country, but the only country listed was the US. I must make some enquiries about adapter plates. We can't be the only people who want to change tapware without doing a major renovation. The mixers have the better warranties, that's for sure. Best I've found here is fifteen years for a European brand.

Hi Joyful. Enthusiasm for a do-it-yourself job rapidly diminished after we turned the water off and couldn't access the washer even with phone assistance from the company. (Part of the problem is it's not really the original manufacturer, just a conglomeration of takeovers.) DS is tired of hearing me muttering about the good old days when "dad could've fixed this in no time". Online research turned up a NZ company newsletter that talked about the "drive to stamp out unfixable tapware". Interesting reading. We'll probably get the plumber to change the washing machine taps too. Only replaced them a couple of years ago and one is quite wobbly. They weren't cheap imports so that's disappointing.

Loretta, I remember someone on tv saying it's really worth it to get good furniture because it'll last and it works out to be quite economical to just replace the fabric when necessary.

• macbirch
    17 years ago

I didn't mean to hijack the thread with my tale of tap woe. It's just so frustrating, and teenage DS keeps asking why we didn't buy decent taps in the first place. He knows what DH is like with money, which often does cost us more in the long run.

Actually the taps in this house weren't the cheapest. In our first house thirty years ago we had the real cheap ones with plastic handles. Sometimes the plastic handles cracked but changing the handle wasn't too hard and changing the washer was no trouble at all.

Is the quality of cheap things worse than it used to be?

• joyfulguy
    16 years ago

About 4 years ago, when I took my Canadian Dollar to the bank to exchange into some U.S. money while preparing for a trip to that country ...

... they'd give me about 69 cents U.S. for it.

A couple of weeks ago, my Canadian Dollar would buy about 95 cents U.S., now it's about 93 cents.

That's something else that was expensive ...

... and recently has become quite a lot cheaper.

ole joyful

• cheerful1_gw
    16 years ago

I agree with the paint comment. I use Benjamin Moore for everything. I had used paint from one of the home superstores, and it didn't look or go on as well as Benjamin Moore. We also don't buy cheap beer, but don't go overboard either. While I like expensive chocolate, M&M's or a Milky Way does it for me too.

• cindy_lou_who
    16 years ago

I have a pair of jeans that I bought at Old Navy at least 8 yrs ago, if not more. They're heavy weight, DENIM, jeans. They have a real zipper in them, and pockets that you can actually fit your hands into.

Now all you can find there are jeans made of a paper thin, denim-like material. They're all some form of low rise, ultra low rise, etc. Pockets are so small you can't fit anything into them.

The old jeans are one of my favorites. I bet a newer pair from there wouldn't last half as long as these have.

• bry84
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I made a chocolate cake today, and I used the Phillips electric mixer my mother bought. I don't know the exact age, but a good guess would be late 60s early 70s. Certainly older than the mid 70s as it has the old style electric plug. Not only has it worked perfectly for well over 30 years of extensive use, but when the plastic bowl broke a few years ago I telephoned the company to order a replacement and they sent me one free of charge. This item is about three decades out of warranty, and I wasn't even the original buyer, and it was my fault the bowl broke anyway, but they still did their best to help. Conversely, I know companies who will do nothing of any use for customers who bought far bigger and more expensive items from them just weeks ago.

If I've learnt anything from my good and bad consumer experiences, it's that it's always best to buy products from companies you know and trust at stores you enjoy shopping at. I don't care if the initial cost is more, it's worth it. However, I often find that the price difference is not so significant anyway. An extra £40 when you're spending over £250 isn't such a big deal.

But I do like trying new things, I often go to shops I haven't been to before and sometimes buy brands I don't have personal experience with yet, but I tend to only buy smaller less expensive items at first. Always try them out before parting with large amounts of money for big items. Also, if I expect it to be a shop where I'm going to be spending lots more money, I'll invent a random customer enquiry about my item after buying it to see how well they deal with it. I've had experiences with shops that love you when you're buying and ignore you when your item is faulty out the box or you need help with something. These are not good shops to buy big costly items, so it's important to find out who is who before you spend anything significant.

I'm always amazed how many people will think nothing of walking in to a shop they have never been to before and buying big items like a £800 oven or £300 TV set from a brand they have never heard of before.

• gertie2u2
    16 years ago

Speaking of mixers, I received a really nice "reworked" mixer as a wedding gift some years ago. This was one of those big, stand mixers, and it mixes up bread dough, cookie dough, runs a meat grinder...the works! It was purchased for me at a huge trades day, and it's gone 20 years and still working great. I also received an antique Singer sewing machine, same deal. All this just to point out sometimes it can be a great idea to get something made before "planned obscelesence" became the words manufacturers live by. I wish I could find an old can opener, because I've been through about six in that same time. And I've bought both more and less expensive electric can openers during that time. I finally gave up and just spent $6 on a good hand crank, which has lasted already longer than any of the electric models.

• User
    16 years ago

Three-four years ago, we needed a new washing machine. Once at the store, the sales man asked how he could help. My reply - "I want a washing machine that has the largest size tub and one that will last at least 15 years, just like my mom had". His reply - None of them will last 15 years, important features change and you'll want to upgrade". We ended up buying one with the large tub and which is of a reputable brand; however I wasn't happy about his comments re the thing not lasting at least 15 years.

Fast forward about 2 months - we see a trickle of water on our basement floor. Out comes the repairman for a housecall. He takes the metal box off. Low and behold, the guts of the machine are basically all plastic. To me, plastic in a machine that's vibrating with each use does not equate to sturdy.

Expensive things that end up cheaper....not washing machines!

• floridajane
    16 years ago

Face and body soaps: agreed! I'm a Dermologica convert as well, and for other soap and hair products my trick is to scour the Ross and Marshall's stores every now and then. They usually have great high-end products at a decent price. Though still more expensive than your cheapest options, they definitely last longer and do a really good job!

Regarding appliances, I would always consider what is going into energy costs before writing off that used appliance as a good deal. For example, water is expensive where I live, so a top-load washer is going to cost me more on my bills than a front-load; same water concerns go for the dishwasher as well. It seems you can also have energy star rating for not a whole lot of $$ as well. I guess it's one of those things where you have to think about what you're paying up front AND what you're going to keep on paying for those years down the road that you own the appliance.

Jane

• dally099
    16 years ago

i just bought a new washing machine, i have four kids so i do a ton of laundry bought the whirlpool duet FF set. all my appliances are top of the line as i use them and want to enjoy them. my mini van was bought at an auction its an 03 chevy venture bought it last year with 52000km's on it for $6000.00, i dont believe in spending 35000.00 on something my kids are going to grind fries in the seat with. i love walmart sales for shoes and clothes for me and the kids. i will say that i am a runner so i have very good expensive running shoes but i only buy 1 pair a year, im not willing to ruin my knees and hips for cheap running shoes. we dont smoke, drink only a little bit, no cable or satelite tv, i buy laundry and cleaning supplies in brand name as i find that you use less and they smell better. their is lots of good generic stuff out their and you learn which brands are the best after a while. i love to go to auctions i get lots of great dishes for my house ( i find the ones from the 50's and earlier are way better then the ones nowadays) all my caseroule dishes are from the 50's. so its all a matter of choices.

• gardendog
    16 years ago

Well, I think something at is really worth the money at the time is a college education. Totally worth it for your kids and yourself even though you do pay through the nose for it.

Ditto for vocational classes.

Buying a house in the best neighborhood you can afford. Once I lived in a cheap and dangerous place ::shudder::. Never again! My car got stolen - TWICE, and I was scared of my neighbors. :-( What was I thinking?

Not racking up major credit card debt. My sister did this, and it cost her more to pay it off with a refinance than if she would just stop spending her money on frivolous things like......... sorry, but shoes are coming to my mind right now. hehe.

I always think my 401k is expensive, but I know I have to retire sometime......

Cheers.

• bry84
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I had been buying nothing but dermalogica for some time now, but recently tried avon (can you buy their stuff in America?) and have been very impressed with the results. For me, it works as good as dermalogica. That's a big statement when you consider the price difference.

The avon shampoo is a favourite item of mine as it's really concentrated and a bottle lasts about three times as long as anything else I've used of the same size.

• arleneb
    16 years ago

I'll "echo" the comments about plantar fasciatis and shoes. I was headed toward surgery when someone pointed me to good brands. Ecco sandals feel as if they're made for my foot. No more PF . . . I don't care how much they cost: I wear them 90% of the time.

Another product that's worth the money is Nioxin Scalp Therapy. Pricy, but I have no more breaking or splitting hair, and my hair in general is healthier than it's ever been. I both perm and color, which has always been a problem till I started the Nioxin. It's worth every penny and more.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

I believe Avon has the planet covered, right down to the Brazilian rain forests.

• grittymitts
    16 years ago

My Dad used to say "Poor folks can't afford anything cheap- buy the best you can afford, even if it's used."
    Suzi

• acey
    16 years ago

I like to buy Select-A-Size paper towels, Bounty preferred. One rarely needs more than a half a sheet anyway!

I also like Scott bath tissue because since we all know that only WOMEN know HOW to change the roll, it lasts a long time between when I must do that chore!!!

• flgargoyle
    16 years ago

I guess the rest of you aren't old enough, but I think a good mattress is a good investment! Try sleeping on a cheap one- you'll know what I mean.

Other things that have paid off- good tools. I bought a lot of professional power tools in the 70's- still have all of them.
    As has been mentioned- good shoes! I'm on my feet 10 hours a day, and plantar fasciitis is no fun.
    Antiques- we've furnished our whole house with them over the years- every one a bargain. They just keep going up in value.
    We've had good luch with quality appliances, too. Our KitchenAid mixer, and Robotcoupe processor have been on the job 25 years now.
    Now days, it's a lot easier to shop wisely. There are many reviews available on-line, and sometimes surprisingly cheap products last well, and surprisingly expensive ones don't.

• lexi7
    16 years ago

This is a good thread. My expensive thing that ends up cheaper is Logics by Matrix, the best styling spray. It smells great and lasts forever. The original cost is a shocker, but it lasts longer than several cans of cheap spray.

• morgan88
    16 years ago

"buy the best. cry once."

found that gem in a fortune cookie back in college.

• jasper60103
    16 years ago

I needed a new air filter for the lawn mower. Went to HomeDepot yesterday and the thing cost $10.99! I said to myself I'll wait and see if I can find a better deal.
    I stopped by Fleet&Farm on the way home from work and found the OEM (Briggs&Stratton) filter for $4.99. The generic replacement filter cost twice as much at HomeDepot.

• always_outside
    16 years ago

Facial care products! The ones you buy at Wal-Mart, Target, etc...Just don't hold up as well as the more expensive facial care you buy at dept stores. At least for me, anyway.

Clothes
    Paint
    Cars
    Food - I have tried store brands and been disappointed.
    Good tools
    Quality furniture and appliances
    Pest Control Chemicals
    Perfume (knock off, cheap brands smell cheap and fly away)
    Carpet (cheap carpet gets matted up too fast)
    Laundry soap
    Spices
    Cheeses

• joyfulguy
    16 years ago

Stocks of U.S. (or foreign-based corporations bought in the New York stock market via ADRs) by non-U.S. people some time ago.

About 5 years ago when I traded Cdn$1.00 for U.S. money ... I got about 65 cents. So it cost me $1.50 to buy US$1.00.

Over recent years, the exchange rate on Cdn Dollars has risen, rather quickly in the past year or so - about 15 cents.

When I look at the values based in U.S. Dollars, the stocks have mainly developed reasonabe growth: some of the foreign ones appear to have grown even better.

BUT ... when I exchange that value into Cdn Dollars, now that Cdn$1.00 buys only US$0.97 ... their value doesn't look quite so nice - like over a 40% reduction in value!

Which is somewhat mitigaterd by some of the foreign stocks, for some of their exchange rates have risen in relation to the U.S. Dollar as well, so that means that their value now, when quoted in U.S. Dollars, looks higher that has actually happened, when one considers the value in their national currency.

U.S. folks who bought quality Canadian stocks a few years ago, have seen those values in Canadian dollars rise nicely ...

... and they've gained another 40% or so if they should choose to liquidate now and exchange back into U.S. currency.

But they'd best be careful where they do it, for usually around here it costs something like 1% or less, but a recent Canadian immigrant to the U.S., on receiving a cheque as a bequest from a deceased relative, found that some major agencies in her area wanted 10% or even more to exchange it.

So - she sent it back to Calgary, where she'd lived previously, and they did it for peanuts.

ole joyful

• vegangirl
    16 years ago

I bought a pair of kitchen shears in 1989 at one of those home parties that sell really expensive cookware. I paid $50 for the shears and they are still working great. I use them every day for something or other.

My Bosch Universal Kitchen Machine. I bought mine used about 20 years ago. We make 5 loaves of bread every week in it and the blender gets almost daily use.

• jannie
    16 years ago

My MIL always bought the best. the best house (small house in a good neighborhood), the best appliances, the best furniture, and she MAINTAINED it. After she died, her house sold in one day for top dollar.