Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
baking soda uses

Posted by miscindy (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 2, 09 at 9:27

Baking soda seems to be the universal natural cleaner! I recently purchased a large box for about $2. I use it to scrub my stainless steel pans-makes them nice and shiny! Also use on glasstop stove and once in a while mix a bit in with my shampoo to remove any build-up on my hair. I know some brush their teeth with it. My 1st grader likes to mix it with vinegar for a "science experiment."

What do you use baking soda for?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: baking soda uses

to wash fruit with and indigestion.

o

One of the best drain openers is made from baking soda, salt and vinegar. Pour in the salt (it's an abrasive and helps scrape the scum) baking soda and pour vinegar on it. Foams up and you put the drain stoper back in and let the pressure move it through. Also gets rid of the the small from the buildup.

Sprinkle it on carpets when you leave, then vacuum it up when you come back from a closed up place. Cheaper than buying the perfumed carpet fresheners.

A friend still uses baking soda for an upset stomach.

Car battery terminals getting the buildup? Use baking soda to clean it up.

Here is a link that might be useful: More ideas for baking sods

o

I use baking soda and a damp cloth to clean our stainless steel kitchen sink. I am not a fan of stainless, but since it was here when we bought the place, I'm stuck with it. The only thing I have found that makes it look good is baking soda.
I also put about 1/2 c. in with the kitty litter. No matter how good the litter is at absorbing odors, a little baking soda helps it along.
I have found, however, that an open box of baking soda in the refrigerator does nothing to eliminate odors.

o

We have used baking soda for upset stomaches, for the kitty litter box, to clean out pipes, to clean the battery post on the car, to scrub the dishes and as an additive to the laundry.

My great- grandfather once told me that he put baking soda on his brothers yard as a joke. He said that it made the grass grow (quicker I guess). Well that made me curious so I did the same thing to our lawn, low and behold the area that I put the baking soda on grew a lot quicker than the other grass. That was about 18 years ago when gas was a lot cheaper.....

o

I keep soda in one of the shaker jars like you see in restaurants for cheese. I have seen lists of uses for soda, one said drink some, but was warned it's not good for you. My stomach doctor doesn't like me to use it for indigestion, but I do occasionally.

o

Sheesh, stupid typos! meant to say it gets rid of the smell from the buildup...

And I guess even I don't know about more ideas for baking "sods"!

'scuse the errors!

o

I use BS most for cleaning my glass-top stove. I've never tried the store-bought products for burnt-on spots. Just a little sprinkle of BS, damp washcloth, and the burnt is gone.

My second use is if DD (3 yrs old) or the cat pukes on the carpet. BS liberally on the spot, let it soak up excess liquid. Scrape that up. Pour on vinegar & let it foam. Scrub up.

Oh, and for the stainless steel sinks, I read somewhere to use white flour to shine up the sink. I've found flour or baking soda give the same final result.

o

what is the difference between baking soda and baking powder?

o

Google is your friend.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soda vs. Powder

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here