Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
About the fluorescent light bulbs

Posted by Deb_PA (deborah@kiski.net) on
Tue, Mar 25, 03 at 8:51

In April's Readers Digest: These bulbs cost between $5 and $10 but you can expect to save up to $16 per year for EACH bulb replaced. The older ones emitted a garish white light so look for the Color Rendition Index (on box, I'm guessing) to be over 80 for a more appealing full spectrum light effect. This seems like the way to go except my ceiling lights won't take the longer ones, they just won't fit in under the glass covering. Also some lamps have too short of shade to allow these bulbs to fit in either. Guess I'll have to measure these areas and carry the measurements with me before I buy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: About the fluorescent light bulbs

I love the light these bulbs give off - no so yellow like regular light bulbs. I have them everywhere they will fit - lamps, in the basement fixtures, etc. About the only place they won't fit in my house is in ceiling fans and the kitchen ceiling fixture. Actually, they would fit in the ceiling fans but look too awful.

o

I found Kmart to have the best prices on these regularly and have heard that if you can hit them on sale they are very economical.

o

There are numerous sizes and shapes available now in compact flurescent bulbs, some are long and tube like, and some are spirals in two sizes. There are also some that have a covering over the tubes to be more like a regular lightbulb shape. You really have to shop around, but I've seen plenty of packs selling 4 for $15-20

o

My local hardware store has a sale on them every spring for $1 a piece. I buy several every year and stock up, and then give them away!

o

Be aware that, like regular fluorescent tubes, compact fluorescents vary greatly in quality, light output, and light quality ("cool white," "warm white," "full-spectrum"). Of course, the more expensive ones typically offer the longest life and the best-quality light.

o

I was apprehensive about using them in my ceiling fan but I got them cheap enough that it was worth a try. Plus I used the light so much that the savings should offset the cost of replacement. And I was replacing incandescents in it anyway so part of the cost is offset. Since replacing (however many years ago) I haven't had to replace one bulb. 52 watts now vs 240-300 watts before. The savings add up on this application. Yes they look different in the fixture, but I don't find the look objectionable at all. I think they look better than a boring regular bulb. Plus I don't look at them when they're on anyway.

I even put them in the enclosed fixtures. They run cooler than incandescents so I figure if the others were OK, these should be. Although most now are made for enclosed fixtures anyway.

o

I can't use CFs in my remote-control ceiling fans, they flicker horribly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here