Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
making your own yogurt

Posted by tahlequahgardens (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 9, 03 at 8:08

mid_tn_mama posted in the packaging thread:
This is why I make my own. If you are interested in knowing how to do it easily--post it here and I'll begin a new thread.

Would you PLEASE post your recipe. I would especially be interested in getting flavored yogurt recipes.

Moni

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: making your own yogurt

Ummmmm ...wouldn't this go better in the RECIPE forum?

o

Well, hopefully, the point is, it will be cheaper to make.

I looked at prices today, and the cheapest is about 69 cents per 8 oz container.

Is homemade cheaper?

o

Yes it can be much cheaper to make this yourself than buy. Especially if you like flavored yogurt. You may add jam or fruit yourself. It's easy to take the quantity you like for lunch.

It can be even more advantageous if dry milk is less expensive than regular milk in the area you live. If your milk has gone sour, you can use this and not waste (which is also a frugal thing!)

Homemade yogurt is also a substitute for sour cream in your recipes. Yogurt is a healthy way to encourage "good" bacteria in your digestive system--in other words an inexpensive way to stay healthy.

Here is my recipe:
I don't use measurements so sorry. My recipe is from an Indian friend and it is very easy and practical. I usually start the yogurt after dinner is over and have yogurt for breakfast the next day.

Heat one litre of milk to almost boiling (scalding). Let milk cool until it a drop is comfortably warm on the inside of your wrist (like checking for a baby's bottle).

Mix in a couple tblsp of active plain yogurt (can be from a previous batch or store bought--note, not all yogurts contain active culture) with a whisk until smooth.

Pour in a glass container and put the container in the microwave oven overnight (this keeps the temperature from fluctuating)without turning it on. In the morning you will have yogurt. Whole milk makes thicker yogurt than skim. The consistency is usually not gel-like as the store bought yogurt is. But it tastes MUCH better.

Hope that helps.

o

So is skim a viable ingredient?

And

the final product:
1) how long is it good for?
and
2) must it be refrigerated?

o

Yes, skim is viable--just more soupy. But I like to mix it with granola so it's great.

How long it is good for--well that depends on your viewpoint. I'm the kind of person who, if they didn't use it up before a little mold was growing would scrape off the mold and use the yogurt in baking or a casserole.

So I'd guess you would say that it would keep as long as any yogurt that did not contain preservatives.

Lastly--YES you must refrigerate after it is made the morning.

Every once in a while things flop--don't give up, just try again. With any fermented recipe it is imperative that you use clean utensils.

o

Couple other points:

I cover the glass container overnight in the microwave.

You can use the dribs and drabs at the bottom of the jelly/jam jars for flavoring (save money by not wasting)

We add a couple drops of vanilla and cinnamon and a little sugar usually.

As I say, it makes a nice breakfast or snack with homemade granola.

o

Thanks for the recipe - it sound like fun to try. I don't eat sugar (on doc. orders) so haven't been able to buy yogurt. Have you checked the sugar content??? Very high.

o

Thanks for that recipe even though I don't usually eat yogurt it will be nice to make for my neice.

Some one was asking how long it lasts well to help it last longer you can buy from a homebrew shop sodium metabisulfite=$2-$3LB, or in a tablet form,measured out, but tablets too expensive.You only need a tiny amount less than a table spoon per gallon of wine (I measure that by eye), so I think it would be about the same for yogurt.

Also does it keep fermenting? If so you can also buy potasium sorbate which eventually kills yeast by stoping them from reproducing, and yeast cells lives are really short.

Also I would like to add if anyone on this forum likes wine you can buy a ingr. kit that no fun for me, but from what I hear they produce good wine for a fraction of the cost, and are easy no adjusting.I get most all my fruit for free,because people don't pick it.As for ingr they only cost a small amount I'd say about $10-15 dollars at the most for acid blend, pectic enzym= breaks down fruit,Yeast nutr.(dont usually need),sodium metabisulfite,= prserves wine/ sanitizes,As for equipment can be cheap if you shop around on the internet,and some places will give you their left over buckets that are food grade.Just giving a sugestion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here