Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fluorescent day light bulbs

Posted by silver2 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 07 at 3:55

I do believe can save you quite a bit of money. I replaced most of my light bulbs over a year ago with this type of bulb. That was one consistant change I made in my household. The other was the purchase of a wringer washer, which I used for a good portion of the summer and into the fall. The third thing I did, was every chance I got I hung clothes to dry outside on the clothesline to dry instead of using the dryer. The payoff on these three changes was my budget light bill went from 189 per month to 154.
The daylight bulbs gave a much better light, whiter and cleaner looking than the regular bulbs. I think the major part of this savings was in the change of the light bulbs.
As during this time, my DS, who was living with me, seemed to use the washer and dryer more, as they were freed up because I was using the wringer and hanging. Her loads became smaller and more frequent. So I really have to attribute the savings to the use of the bulbs. Plus they last so much longer, it is a real treat not to have to change bulbs as often.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fluorescent day light bulbs

I measured washer load. It was something like a nickle worth of power. Standard top loader with medium water level. I only use cold/cold water so no heating/power costs there.

I dont have anything to exactly measure dryer, but seems about 2kwh for a medium load of daily wear clothes - or about 26 cents here.

o

About a year ago; I changed my lightbulbs to the energy saving flourescent. I put plastic over most of my windows. I put in new energy saving windows in my kitchen and dining room. I set my heat lower than ever before. I shut OFF all the heat in my basement. (I only really use the basement for laundry.)

And what happened to my utility bill??????? Well, not only did my monthlly bill go up in dollars, I checked my *usage* on the bill and it went UP. Why? How?

I can understand if the rates went up, (Which they did.) that my bill would go up, but according to my bill my USAGE went up. I don't get it.

o

bud WI,

Sometimes life just ain't fair!

Undergoing some privation in a good cause ... should have at least a little pay-off, right?

They tell me that light production from a compact fluorescent is about 4:1 relative to incandescent, i.e., 15 watt CFL should produce about equiv. to 60w. incandescent. I don't think so - it's less, according to me (and there's one operating within half a metre of my elbow, at the moment).

ole joyful

o

We have 2 recessed can lights over the bar area in our kitchen. By accident, I had our room thermometer sitting directly under the lights (on the bar) and noted the temperature. Turned on the can lights to do a task, and couldn't believe the temperature went up 3F from those 2 lights. We were very happy when we found fluorescent lights to replace them. We've used compact fluorescent bulbs for about 15 years, but didn't realize they had some to use in the recessed can lights.

So not only are these lights energy efficient, you save on your cooling bill in the summer because of all the heat produced from incandescents.

About 15% of your energy goes to heating water (according to one source) - and is a good area to save energy. We have an additional problem in our area, water shortage. What we've done to save water AND energy, is to use a small plastic tote in the kitchen sink for washing up a few dishes and kitchen clean up after meals - not a huge sink full of sudsy water. Instead of running 3 gallons of water down the drain until it gets hot, we use about 3-5 CUPS of cold water and heat 3-5 CUPS of hot water in an electric kettle to add to the cold water. Believe it or not, 6-10 cups of water is more than enough to do dishes. We rinse dishes in cold water, which according to our local health department, is perfectly safe to do. The average sink of water is 3-4 times the amount I use.

I also have 2 Camp Showers. These are black plastic containers that you fill with water (5-gallons) and sit in the sun to heat the water. Once again, free heated water.

I also use solar ovens for as much of our cooking as possible. Naturally, energy for them costs nothing and it keeps the cooking heat out of the kitchen.

-Grainlady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here