SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jill_nc_gw

got a strange collection call today...

Jill_NC
21 years ago

I should say DH did but he wasn't home. Apparently this happened just before I met DH, but DH says that it doesn't sound familiar at all.

I pick up the phone this a.m. and there's someone calling from some company (she mumbled the name and my toddler was screaming and I'm getting ready to curse the telemarketer) and she asks for DH. I say "not home" and she starts in about how he signed a contract for magazines back in 1/96 and he owes $600+ ?" She goes on about how she can settle this today for $130 but if a check doesn't get sent then they're going to charge the $600+. THEN she goes on about how she's calling from a collection agency...blah blah blah...and then asks if I'm his wife...and I say "yeah, but save your breath and give me your # so he can call back". Why did she share all that w/me when she didn't know who I was? She said the original creditor was International Magazine Subscriptions. DH denies ever even hearing of them and for the last 7 yrs - we have never been contacted by anyone from a co. like that. It sounded like a scam to me. I thought usually collectors sent out letters and such. We have always been trackable and no one else has had trouble "finding" us. Does this sound weird??

The person calling this morning said that she left the office at 5:00 central time -- that's 4 here on the east coast for us -- but DH gets home around 6 here. He called back and no one answered---doesn't it sound weird that a collection company doesn't have extended hours to compensate for people who actually work a 9-5 schedule? My advice to DH was to not give them any info. but to ask that proof be mailed to us (this "contract" they say he signed) so we can dispute the charge. If this is a legit debt, then we will take care of it after we receive proof - but just to whip off a check and send it out right away w/out any other info. seems stupid to me. BTW - DH got a copy of his credit report a few mos. ago and nothing regarding this co. was on it.

If you have any advice, I'd love to hear it.

Jill

Comments (15)