Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Food Expiration Dates

Posted by xminion (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 22, 09 at 18:33

If you patronize one of the many liquidators who have sprouted during this economy - please read the expiration date when purchasing food items.

A liquidator I was shopping at yesterday was selling food items from 2006. At best it will taste awful and you will have wasted money, at worst you could make someone ill in the short or long term.

It was stunning to witness the amount of people stockpiling these items without looking at the expiration date.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Food Expiration Dates

Salvage places are nortorious for past use-by dates. It's good of you to remind us to look before making a purchase.

I avoid canned goods from salvage places because you are never sure how the food has been warehoused. If commercial canned goods are stored in hot temperatures, they will have textural changes in the food, as well as what little nutrition is left in them after high-heat canning, will also quickly degrade - so you are essentially eating dead food - empty calories. BUT WAIT, it's CHEAP!!!

Last I knew, only foods high in nutrition will feed a body, not empty calories of dead food! That's why I avoid already-prepared foods for storage, and focus on whole-food ingredients with which to MAKE food.

Example: all those free apples I dehydrated in slices last fall are now being made into applesauce, cobblers, added to granola and cooked cereal, as well as an out-of-hand snack food - from one food in storage, many uses.

Example #2: Wheat has a storage life that far exceeds commercial bleached/unbleached flour. I can make more things out of wheat than you can ever make from flour alone - cooked whole kernels, cracked wheat, sprouted, meat-substitute, bulgur, flakes, farina, seed to grow more wheat, AND flour. PLUS, the whole grain is full of 25 vitamins, minerals and proteins, and all the fiber while commercial bleached/unbleached flour is essentially a "dead" food.

Example #3: I store powdered tomatoes. It takes up less space than all the cans of tomato sauce, tomato paste, pizza sauce, and other tomato-based foods, but by reconstituting it with water and adding some herbs/spices and possibly a few other ingredients, it has LOTS of uses.

The use-by date is if the food is stored at room temperature (70F) or cooler. The cooler the storage temperature, the longer the food will keep even past use-by dates. Store canned goods in hot temperatures and the use-by dates are useless information because of the effects of the heat.

-Grainlady

o

There was a guy who ran a convenience store near my Mom. Good to pop in when you're out of milk or something like that. About a year ago, he was busted for selling foods past their expiration dates. Syore is still closed. Good riddance. I hate to think of my poor old (blind) Mom eating something rotten.

o

A while back a smaller supermarket had soup on sale. In looking at the cans I noticed that several of them were expired. I put all of the expired cans in my cart, keeping the 2 good cans I wanted separate from them. When I checked out I discreetly mentioned that the ones remaining in the cart were expired and that I thought someone would like to know. She thanked me, and told me she would mention it to the manager and said that the stockboys were often in such a hurry to get done, that they did not rotate the stock as they were supposed to do.

I've done the same thing at WM too, with over the counter meds that had expired. They always thank me for bring it to their attention and getting it off the shelf.

What bugs me as much or more about things being expired is no date whatsoever on an edible product. Instead of buying a product without a date, I will just buy a different product that is labeled.

That reminds me. I bought a bag of rice yesterday that had no date on it. I'm going to email them and tell them I will not be buying their product again due to it not having any date whatsever on it.

One canned goods manufacturer puts no dates on their stuff , but they have codes on it that means nothing to the consumer. The consumer can then go on-line(yeah right...like folks really want to waste their time doing that) and then can decipher the secret code. Sheesh...stupid. Why not just put the info on the can instead of a code that must be deciphered. What am I missing here?

Sue...who didn't even like the brown rice anyway

o

Why isn't it criminal to attempt to sell to the public food items that the manufacturer has deemed 4 years to old to ingest??

Why don't all food products have clear expiration dates on them?

Why are the Chinese getting a bigger pass through on inspections on the food imported to this country?

All for now. The steam out of my ears is fogging up the computer screen.

o

Well here is my story....a couple of years and before I learned to be more frugal, I had bought my kids some of the canned ravioli that was on sale at the store. Now I check my experation dates on things at home because my stock doesn't always get rotated properly but I didn't think at the time to check the dates at the store. Well, I opened that can and went to pour it out.......the ravioli wouldn't budge so I turned the can over to see what the problem was and to my dismay there was an inch thick of mold on the inside of the can......................yuuuuuuuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The date on the can had not expired but was close to experation. I am sure that is why the ravioli was on such good sale. HEHE I always look in the can as soon as I open it now. And yes I check the experation dates....

~Jackie~

o

Jackie

Sure hope you took a few minutes to call their consumer line. At the very least, they would have sent you a couple of coupons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here