SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

Car Insurance

newhomeseeker
15 years ago

I just wanted to advise/warn everyone of my experience with Progressive Auto Insurance. You see all the commercials about how you can save $ and they will compare your rates to those of other companies. This could possibly be a scam.

I went online to progressive.com and got a quote. I own two vehicles (one paid off, one with a loan). I have never paid more than $500 for six months of full coverage. I entered my info and the same limits I have on my current policy and the same deductibles. My first quote was around $520. They showed me ONE other company to compare my rate to. That company was $502. So for about a $20 difference I would just choose to stay on Progressive's site (as I'd already filled out all my info with them) I did not need to buy coverage that day (my current policy didn't expire for a month and I was just shopping around). Two days later I logged in to check my quote again but it hadn't been saved (but they did send me an email with this quote) so it asked me to start the process all over which I did. This time my quote was over $100 higher than the one two days earlier. Same exact information was entered. I thought I must have made an error so I let the system send me an email for the 2nd quote (so I'd have proof) and then I started the process all over again. This was about twenty minutes later. Same info was entered. This time my quote was $430! Which was LESS than both the quotes and almost $200 less than the quote I was given twenty minutes earlier!!

It was as if the system just spits a random number out and they hope you will pay it. The numbers for the cost of different coverages changed as well (for example if you wanted rental car coverage you paid $10 in the latest quote and the earlier one it cost $22. Made no sense.

I had done a quote for my fiance as well and he liked the quote but did not want to pay online so he found a local agent that deals with Progressive and went to her office. She entered the exact same info that I entered online and she came back with a rate that was almost $100 less than the one he got online. He was thrilled obviously and signed up right then.

I decided to call this local insurance agency to see if their rates were cheaper than my online quote. I gave them the same info I'd inputed online and they ran it through PRogressive. The woman came back and told me my quote was $892!!!! I had the print out from my cheapest online quote directly from Progressive's web site and it was $400 less. I have lived in my state for five years and have never had any tickets, had one not at fault accident. Plus I have great credit. So I did not understand at all why the quote was so high. The agent couldn't tell me either. Their six month rate is more or equal to what I normally pay in a year!

I called an agent (who wasn't local) and she found insurance coverage (not through PRogressive) that is full coverage (and the same thing I requested of progressive) for $351 for six months. And the other agent wanted to charge me almost $900!! Just doesn't make sense at all.

I do not understand how the quotes could vary so much even just online in a matter of minutes! Just be careful if you use this company.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County