Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you do with extra coupons?

Posted by ReaderPhil (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 3, 03 at 14:32

I get two daily papers with nearly weekly coupon inserts. I use very few of them but hate throwing out the unused ones. Any suggestions as to how they could be put to good use??? I would really appreciate them. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you do with extra coupons?

Many stores have a bin in which you can put coupons and also take coupons. Sort of a casual coupon exchange. I know all the Albertson's around here do.

Brenda

o

I give the pet product ones to the animal shelter, and the baby stuff ones to the battered women's shelter, and any good personal care ones to the prostitute's sheltre (no kidding ... three blocks away)

o

I leave them on the store shelves. Only 4 or 5 per aisle because I don't want to get the employee who works that aisle in trouble for having a mess on her shelves.

o

I give many to friends, I give all the pet food/accessories/ cat litter ones to the animal shelter, I leave some in the store near products when I have time to do that. I mostly ask my friends if there are any they want me to keep an eye out for, and as long as it's not one I use, I give it to them. Good excuse to get together for 20 mins.

o

I put them in the recycle bin.

o

Gather a few friends who're interested in coupon exchange, at a time convenient for everyone, at the home of the person closest to the major store. While coffee and interesting conversation takes place, exchange the relevant coupons.

Maybe even share vehicle(s) to the store - conserve precious fuel as well as save money.

Just an idea.

By the way - I've suggested that you make a list of all names of friends with their skills and interests. Maybe list available coupons as one component of a newsletter dealing with frugality or other interesting issues that you pass around to the friends.

joyful guy

o

I send some to the military bases, as they can even use expired coupons up to 6 months. Deb

o

I am with Deb,

o

Somehow I have trouble spending a couple dollars in gas to bring a 50 coupon to someone... (sigh) But that's me. If I know I'm going to see someone who uses a particular coupon, I'll bring it with and give it to them if they want it. Otherwise most get recycled. My coupon use has dwindled. Just not a lot of them out there for things I buy. Speaking of which... I was in some stores this week looking at dish soap going up 28%, frozen potatoes up 95%, fresh taters up about the same, canned veggies up about 40%.... Oh well, they keep telling me the economy is sound.

I had to chuckle at one store. "Clearance" endcap with 30% off. Which put the prices to what they were when those items were put on the shelf a few months ago!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here