Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Upgraded the monitor, 36 year payoff by saving electricity!

Posted by jrdwyer (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 22, 10 at 14:30

I put my 13 year old 15" computer monitor out to pasture when I saw a bigger LCD one for $90 on clearance. It works better and uses less electricity (20 watts versus 50 watts), but the payoff based on today's electric rates is about 36 years! Maybe if rates double, then the monitor will actually pay for itself before it dies.

I also put the 22 year old 13" analog color T.V (Samsung, Made in USA) out and went with a 19" digital LCD on sale. Energy use drops from 66 watts to 27 watts with the new T.V. and the picture is incredible with DTV over the air. Previously, we had just used the DTV converter box.

Goodwill has both units (they do work), so hopefully they will be recycled and someone will spend/save some real money by getting them for $5 or $10. I'm sure not saving any money by upgrading!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Upgraded the monitor, 36 year payoff by saving electricity!

I have two 19" and two 17" CRTs that I can't get anybody to take. It's distressing to toss them to the trash.

o

I have an old TV that even the trash won't take! I can't get anyone to take it as a donation. I have no idea what to do with it!

o

Try listing it on Craigslist or Freecyle? Someone will want it.

Have you tried just putting it out at the curb with a *FREE* sign? I set out my TV on the curb with a sign and it was gone in no time.

A lot of people don't know about the *Free* Forum Craigslist has. Check CL for your city's listing and go to the *Free* section.

If it works, offer it to a nursing home. The nursing home in my neighborhood accepts TV's to put in patient rooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craigslist Free Forum Chicago

o

nooo - put them on the street with sign for SALE....it'll be stolen!! If you put it out for free, no one will take it!

o

We have to take our old TV's, computer components, tires, and paint & chemicals to the county's solid waste collection stations. No curbside pickup service.

o

I replaced my 19" Acer LCD with 22" LG LCD but I was using a 17" CRT previously. My monitor is usually up 10 hours a day. I wonder how much I am saving monthly from 17" CRT to 22" LCD.

o

This idea has merit. I learned something from this.
"put them on the street with sign for SALE.... it'll be stolen!! If you put it out for free, no one will take it!"

o

Call goodwill or one of the charities .. they can sell working monitors for $5 and $10 and feed somebody needy a meal or help pay their rent or something.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here