Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cheap massage!

Posted by Alisande (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 15, 04 at 14:18

I love hour long, full-body massages, but can no longer afford the fat fees charged by licensed therapists. My chiropractor told me about a medical career school where massage therapy students offer massages for $10. A half-hour in the massage chair (where you remain fully dressed) is only $3.

I've had two massages, and enjoyed the experiences. The girls were professional and considerate, the room was warm, and the music was soothing. I've had expensive massages that weren't nearly as satisfying. Tips were encouraged, and I gave $5. (My chiropractor gives $10.) Afterwards I was asked to fill out a form evaluating the student, who must give 27 massages before graduation.

You might find such a school in your area.

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cheap massage!

My DS's friend was doing that( a guy). It was a bit uncomfortable but he is wonderful. At my age I rarely get embarassed anymore. It was free, it was at his parents home and they have a table. He has since graduated and now works where they charge $60 so my massage days are over. the school is not close enough to be convenient but I agree it's a great way to feel good cheap!

o

Never had a professional massage, but would love one... like... this morning.

o

We used to give them back and forth - the non-professional kind - in Parents Without Partners group several years ago.

Great when one is uptight.

joyful

o

White grape seed oil or almond oil with a few drops of your favorite essential oil are great. All are available at your local health food store. I use the coupons out of our telephone books to buy mine with a 50% off one item at the store. True essential oil is very concentrated. Not the WallyWorld kind.

You only need a quarter size amount per limb so it goes a long way.

Learned a lot in massage school :)

Wing

o

Massage schools are good places to go definately! My sister just finished a program at the local school.

$15 an hour there, you must fill out health paperwork etc. They are not ALLOWED to accept tips and must complete 300 hours of practical experience for graduation. (Best dang massage school in teh country, run by the lady who writes the books the other places use.)

However you don't review the students the instructors do. But they are doing outcome based massage, NOT relaxation massage.

Only problem with them is you have to make an appointment at least a month in advance or they have no room.

No reason at all for anyone to be embarassed by a massage, to them you are just slab of muscle and connective tissue. If they're well trained then trust me they see you walk in and they're immediately doing gate assesment, seeing how you hold your limbs, back, neck, its all telling them what's wrong and what they need to work on. That's what they're noticing, nothing personal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here