Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
no stick sprays

Posted by calirose (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 5, 09 at 11:54

has any one tried using a sprayer filled with one's own oil, as opposed to buying one of the brands made for that purpose?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: no stick sprays

yes... it lasted for bout six months then failed to 'pump'.

o

I hated it. It was hard to clean and didn't spray well.

o

Thanks for the info!

o

Ditto Ditto! It was awful.

o

Same experience here.

o

Ditto ditto ditto to the above. Mine was nice stainless steel, quite expensive and looked good. But simply didn't work properly at all. Someone snapped it up in the garage sale I had, and then I felt guilty for days for even selling the thing. But the lady was soooo excited to have found it, that I figure she had a few minutes of pleasure before she realised too that she'd bought a bomb.
Lily

o

I have one made by Pampered Chef and it has never been a problem. I've had it at least 4 years, have it filled with EVOO and use it several times a week.

Sorry everyone has had such poor experience with them.

o

I appreciate the replies! Thank you.

o

I have had 2 plastic ones which did conk out on me after a while, and now have 2 stainless steel ones which work fine thus far (knocking on wood as I type). I figure since both plastic ones each lasted over a year and I refilled them both several times, their under $4.00 cost was worth the several cans of commercial spray I might have purchased. So they conked out but were for me still a money saver in the long run. I was given a steel one for a gift and am using that at the moment but had already purchased a steel one before the gift arrived and it is waiting in the wings so to speak. My gourmet cook SIL told me the trick is to release the pressure when you are done using the thing every time. I do that and think it helps but who knows. For me, they are all a moneysaver but this is just MHO.

o

Appreciate the info about stainless steel. Thanks budster.

o

funny - I never did outgrow the habit of spreading that teaspoon of oil around with a pastry brush...non-stick sprays work with the Teflon coatings, I guess?

o

I use spray for food not pans and don't use non stick pans.

o

I mostly use spray for muffin pans and the bbq grill. I don't use nonstick pans either.

chinacat, I use a pastry brush otherwise also.

o

My money was wasted on the Pampered Chef's pump. A silicone brush is the way to go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here