Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you make bulgur?

Posted by chambleemama (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 23, 09 at 11:44

Grainlady, I see that you make your own bulgur. I have a Whispermill and buckets of hard red, hard white, kamut, spelt, etc. I use a DLX mixer for regular baking. I would love to make my own bulgur--but have no idea how. Can you walk me through this?

Oh--anyone else's recipe would be welcome, too!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you make bulgur?

It sounds like you are ready to go ;-)!

Bulgur - you'll find several different methods/recipes. I like to use hard red wheat for bulgur, but I've also made it out of white wheat and other grains (spelt, triticale, etc.) - your choice. I've read where you are supposed to use soft grain, another source says to use durum - so I make it out of whatever I feel like. As simple as that! It's essentially cooked wheat kernels, oven-dried, then cracked/coarse-ground.

#1 -
(source: Utah State University) I've found this recipe repeated in several books.

1. Wash wheat in cool water and discard water.
2. Cover the wheat with a generous amount of water (2-3-times the amount of wheat) and steam until water is absorbed and wheat is tender. This usually takes from 35-40 minutes.
3. Spread the cooked wheat thinly on cookie sheets or shallow pan and place in a warm oven to dry (200F). Wheat must be very dry so that it will crack easily.
4. When wheat is thoroughly dry, remove the chaff by rubbing kernels between the hands. A little moisture added either to the hands or to the surface of the wheat will assist in the removal of the chaff. [Grainlady note: the wheat I use doesn't have any chaff on it, so skip this step.]
5. (Optional). Crack wheat in mill or grinder (moderately fine) on coarsest setting. A blender may also be used for this purpose. [Grainlady note: don't mill it in the Nutrimill, it will be too fine for bulgur.]

#2 -
(source: The Amazing Wheat Book - by LeArta Moulton)

method 1:
Wash the whole-kernel wheat in cool water, then discard water.

Place wheat in medium saucepan and enough water to cover wheat (about 2 inches).

Bring to boil. Turn heat off, let rest 1-2 hours.

Add more water if needed and bring to boil again, then let rest another 1-2 hours.

Drain (use water for plants, soups or other cooking) and dry out in 200F oven until very dry. It can also be dried in dehydrator or in the sun on trays.

Method 2:
Steam the washed wheat kernels in double the amount of water until the liquid is absorbed and the wheat is tender (about 1 hr. or less). Spread thinly on cookie sheet or shallow pan and place in oven at 200F until it is dry enough to crack easily.

Crack the dried wheat in a mill or grinder to moderately fine, or use whole. Store in airtight container on shelf.

To reconstitute:
Boil 1 c. bulgur to 2 c. water for 5-10 minutes or soak overnight. It will double in volume.

#3 (source: ?)

Method #1:

Bring to a boil - one part rinsed wheat berries plus 2 parts water. Simmer the berries until they are tender (about 1 hour). Spread wheat berries on a cookie sheet and bake in a 225F. oven, stirring occasionally, until dry (about one hour). Grind in a blender, or Roller Flaker Mill, or crush with a rolling pin, to the consistency of cracked wheat.

Be sure to sift out the smallest flour-like bits. If you don't, they tend to form a "paste" in dishes you prepare calling for bulgur.

Method #2:

Sprout 3 cups (soft) wheat (using any sprouting method you like). Rinse 2-3 times a day. They will be ready in 3-4 days, when the tiny sprout is a maximum length of 1/4 inch.

Drain the sprouts well, spread on a cookie sheet and set in a warm oven or dehydrator, no more than 150F. Dry over night or until the berries are well dried.

Grind coarsely in grain grinder. Store the bulgur in an airtight container in your refrigerator.

-Grainlady

o

Thanks, Grainlady! Now, I have the grain/spice attachment for my DLX, as well as the flake attachment. My husband makes his own grits from yellow corn, by grinding them at the coarsest setting on the DLX grinder. Then he grinds them at least one more time, making them grind more fine each time. I will try doing the cooked-and-dried berries on the coarsest setting. I'll also give flaking them a try, but that seems like it would make them too flat.

I know it seems like a lot of grinders--but the Whispermill works best for baking, the DLX for grits and flaking oatmeal, AND we have the hand crank for the DLX just in case we're without power. I also don't like grinding corn in my Whispermill. (I like freshly ground white corn for cornbread.)

I also just used your method to bake hotdog and hamburger buns--weighing the dough was a snap! I never would have thought of weighing it--thank you!

o

You said it.... No one mill does it all! Over the years I've invested in different mills for different tasks, and never regreted anything other than the first two mills I purchased, which were total pieces of junk - but I didn't know then what I know now....

After I got my Whispermill as my only Christmas gift one year, I was 100% committed to milling flour and making all our breads and baked goods. Eventually I added other mills to make corn meal, flakes, cereals, and a seed mill for tiny seeds/grains.

Milling has been a great experience and rewarding hobby! Even my non-cooking/baking husband has gotten educated. He always makes me a German Chocolate Cake for my birthday. His sister asked him how he made it? He goes into the directions for making wholegrain, freshly-milled cake flour from a 3:1 ratio of soft white wheat and oat OR spelt flour and his sister didn't understand a word.... "You mean you didn't use a CAKE MIX?" hahahaha

-Grainlady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here