SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eileen_ma

What 'Home Improvements' are worth it?

Eileen_MA
20 years ago

Hi,

I posted this message as a response to the woman whom was considering assuming "more" mounting debt to replace windows in her home "assuming" she would surely get more for her home in the R.E. market if this were done.

I was in Real Estate for "a while" and my advice to anyone reg. "extras" (if you're selling), "Don't do it!"

The best thing anyone can do before selling their home (even in a few years future and although, they are not required of a seller), is to pay a "ruthlessly, hated, and feared (by the R.E community) for his uncanny ability to find even the most minute flaws in a home," Structural Inspector to go through your home and make a list of your home's "faults" for YOU! Better to have hired this inspector to tell you these things (and maybe after a potential shock, you could do these necessary repairs), than have a price agreed on with "that nice young couple" then have that same inspector (or someone just as ruthless) come to inspect your home representing the buyers! Then everyone is back at the drawing board! It can be messy!

No home-buyer wants to hear "I'll have my "someone" do that for free, it'll get fixxed," by a seller. That young wife turns to the Realtor and says "my husband can do that, but we want a professional to do it - if it's the owner who does the repair." Or, "We want the money value off the price of the home for a professional to do it, says the husband!"

Why get less for your home, or put off moving yourself - if you even can - simply because you had no clue anything was wrong? In barter, one person's oversight can be another's gain. Our homes are our best investment and we need to guard our interest! Call a local R.E. broker and tell 'em whom you want and why - they'll want you to list with them in the future, so they should be happy to oblige!

I could add Sooo much more...!!

Just joined today, no "cheapskates anonymous" for me! Great to know all of you are out there!

Anyone Else?

Eileen :-)

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville