SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keepitlow

Are you patriotic?

keepitlow
15 years ago

I was in a store looking for a repair part and the salesman was encouraging me to do some buying instead of repairing. I told him I was not spending any money for a thing that was not basic essentials. He asked me "Don't you want to be patriotic?" It seems the government doesn't think much of people who save money, try to live within their means and cut back on unneeded consumption.

Sad state of affairs when promoting savings, avoiding debt and living within one's means has to be defended. And the only patriotic thing to do is to spend, spend, spend and run oneself into bankruptcy to prop up the rich guys.

My wife has lost half or more of her modest retirement fund of "investment grade stocks." Yet, the fat cats on Wall Street and high finance are not hurting for money. When their companies go bankrupt, they make out with millions upon millions of dollars. Why don't they ever lose? Yet it is all put on the little guys to rescue America by compulsive spending and living beyond one's means as the patriotic thing to do.

If the governments wants me to spend like a spendthrift, then they should send me the money earmarked to spend and I will spend their money. But I plan to keep cutting my spending down to the bone, as patriotism has little to do with it and it is more of a question of survival nowadays.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus