SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miscindy_gw

How long do you wear clothes?

miscindy
11 years ago

I recently discovered that many people do not wear their clothes for as many years as I do. A facebook friend posted something about having trouble finding nice clothes to wear everytime a special event like a wedding comes up. I told her I just pull a dress out of the closet (I have 3 dresses, one of which I made myself). I realized that the dress I wore to a wedding this summer was originally purchased for the wedding of a friend who has now been married about 8 years. It still fits and isn't really the kind of dress that goes out of style and since I don't wear it often, it still looks great!

So recently I have been remembering when I purchased different items of clothing I wear regularly. I have 3 solid colored sweaters that were given to me 10 years ago by someone who was joining a commune and giving awayall her clothes. I still wear them to work in my job as a teacher. I recently found a picture of myself in a sweater holding my newborn son who is nearly 15 years old. I still have the sweater, but it's too tight so I am waiting for it to fit again. Most of the dress pants I wear to work are 3-6 years old.

I do buy a few new items each year and keep my closet purged of most items that don't fit or I don't wear. Shirts seem to wear out or get stained as do jeans and socks!

How long do you wear your clothes?

Comments (35)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

As long as they still fit and flatter... or until I buy something I like better.
    (we are a one-in-one-out family)

• dadoes
    11 years ago

Literally until they wear to the point that a hole or rips and tears appear.

• Related Discussions

How do you store out of season clothing?

Q

Comments (8)
    I would not store sweaters in plastic bins in a basement. I store wool blankets, down bedding and anything else that's bulky in space bags that are vacuumed sealed with a vacuum cleaner. They are air tight, dust and bug free. Then I think you can put them in the basement if you wish. I have finally pared down our wardrobe requirements and reorganized our closets so that I can store seasonal sweaters and pants in plastic bins on shelves in our closet, and rotate summer clothes into the same bins during the winter. My husband's blazers and dress pants I store in hanging space bags in the closet year round because he uses them so rarely, but they're clean and handy when needed. It's amazing, but the space bags don't wrinkle or crush and when opened, everything comes back to it's original state. Please don't store anything in plastic bins in the basement or attic unless you vacuum seal them (taking the air out).
    ...See More

Not what do you wear, instead: How do you wear jewelry?

Q

Comments (17)
    As I matter of fact I do wear jewelry differently at my 2 homes! I can't stand cold metal touching me so I don't wear necklaces in the winter (from Nov to about March) at my regular home. And I wear one particular pair of earring almost all winter because they dangle but not long enough to touch my skin. Some of the longer ones end up touching my neck from my scarves & bulky coat so I avoid those. It's crazy but cold metal just sends a chill right through me and makes me feel colder. Since it's warmer in HHI, I do wear necklaces & earrings and even bracelets. I usually bring a few down with me so that I can have some variety. One necklace at a time, if it's bold than the earrings are smaller. One bracelet at a time and it depends on my sleeve length. In both places, I occasionally wear rings when I remember them. Your comments about gold & blue reminds me that I have an 18k gold ring with a lapis lazuli stone. I should dig that out and start wearing it again.
    ...See More

How much of your own clothes do you sew?

Q

Comments (7)
    I have a huge to-do list but haven't gotten to all I want to create. I'd sew everything I wear if I had the time! I'm only in my mid-30's but also hate most everthing out there. I;m a snob when it comes to fit, and can't stand to spend money on all the pants that have droopy seats, too-big legs, etc. As far as good patterns, I find McCall's fits the truest. BUT, what I really suggest is making muslums of the 3-4 basic pieces (shirt, pants, skirt, jacket) and make sure they fit you shape well. Get a pattern alteration book to help you with simple basic alts that will make a huge difference. Once you have acheived that, those 3-4 basic pattern pieces will becomw the patterns you use for everything Shorts, pants, LS and SS shirts, vests, etc. Most garments are constructe from the same patterns over and over again, with the style changes coming from fabrics, necklines, closures and opening, etc. Because once you find the shape that looks good on you, you will want to recreate it again & again. Why fuss around with a bucket if patterns? And I find it to be fun to create my own look this way. And I have learned so much! If you are really at a loss, do what I did after my body 'settled' after having children - go to some really high end stores and try on what you like (don't even look at price) If you like the fit, take notes in the dressing room & search for patterns that duplicate the look. That's much better than sewing an outfit up from scratch and then finding out you look like a damned petunia in a flower pot. (Yes,I did that. Wasted over 12 hours on one dress!) Good luck!
    ...See More

How do you wear your hair?

Q

Comments (47)
    These days, it's in a ponytail all the time. It is long so that I can pull it up into a ponytail. I always wear bangs because I hate the way I look without them! It is natural without any color on it, in the front it is white and in the back it is blond. It actually looks like I've had it frosted in front. Mostly I wear it up because I'm blowing and going all day and cannot stand for my hair to be in my face and also my hair is weird with some of it straight, some wavy, some curly and some of it is frizzy/kinky. If I wear it down, I have to spend a lot of time styling it and I'm too lazy...HEEHEE!
    ...See More
  • grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

I have sweaters I knit in the 1980's I still wear. I own a sweater my mother made for me when I was in the 8th grade (1966) and my daughter and granddaughter have now worn it. When I taught knitting/crocheting classes I always said a good sweater should last a lifetime if you choose a classic style and quality yarn.

I stick to a relatively small number of good quality classics (and I include jeans in that category), a small palette of colors that all go together, and avoid fashions like bell-bottoms (which I've seen come-and-go at least 6 or 7 times).

Although not clothing, I'm wearing snow boots I bought in 1976. The boot laces have been replaced any number of times ;-). My winter coat is 20-years old and my "dress coat" (wedding/funeral/special occasions) is even older. I keep adding a new hand-knitted scarf every few years to dress them up a bit.

About 80% of my wardrobe comes from thrift stores. I once made most of my clothes, and when I was working I would buy men's 3- or 4-piece suits at thrift stores and re-make them into skirts/slacks and jacket/vest. For the price of a pattern and spool of thread these days, I can buy 5-6 items at thrift stores so it's no longer cost and time effective to make or re-make things.

When I buy something "new" I move something out - usually because it's worn out and I'm replacing it, but if it is usable I donate it to a thrift store.

The last 7-years we've noticed all our clothing has been lasting much longer and I credit a couple things. I wash our clothes using Charlie's Soap and I line-dry the clothes in the basement. Hot dryers and the beating fabrics take outdoors from the wind and sun will greatly reduce the life of clothes.

-Grainlady

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

Good quality clothing in a classic style never gets old- I have and wear things that are literally 30+ years old. My best coat was purchased when I was 22 or so and I am 58 now.

It helps to know how to sew on a button or mend a hem, though, and I wonder how many people nowadays even bother.
    It's a throw-away society now- easier to buy something new for many.

• RooseveltL
    11 years ago

Disposable society constantly has new items in the closet and unopened.

Practical society has favorite clothing items in their closet worn so much they can't wait to put it on again.

• frugalwallflower
    11 years ago

Goodwill is my favorite clothing store! I can shop every couple weeks without going broke.

I have learned to look for quality fabrics and classic styles--and spend $4 for shirts and $6 for dresses--and the hunt for treasure is part of the fun. To avoid going overboard I tell myself that if I don't absolutely love it I will leave it for the person who will love it.

They even sell evening/prom gowns and wedding dresses, and if you can mend/alter you can have clothes for any occasion! Sometimes, if it's an exceptional deal, I will buy it to sell on eBay and pay for some of my own clothes with the proceeds.

My sister learned from a salesgirl at a more expensive store how to layer tops, sweaters and necklaces/jewelry to look more "put-together". She taught me, so I don't look dowdy or bland like I used to.

I rarely buy trendy things, just simple, classic styles, but I ask myself if it looks youthful enough for someone 10-15 years younger, but not for teenagers or college age. Also make sure that you're not dressing any older than you are.

Found a fashionable wool pea coat for $12, a NEW designer brand purse which cost $13 and a Ralph Lauren sweater with tags (retail was $199; I paid $6). A cute Calvin Klein grey shift dress was $6 and looked new off a boutique rack. Lane Bryant and Coldwater Creek are common, too. Just look for quality, classic, tailored pieces in mostly solid colors that don't say "trying too hard to look young" or "I'm older so it's time to give up caring"!

I might spend $300 a year there, but anymore that's common for 2-3 trips to the mall or department store with a teenager. Let someone else pay retail while I wait for them to tire of it and pass it along!

I like to donate half of the things back after a year or two, but have my favorites which stay. Goodwill helps so many needy people that I love the cycle of donating and buying. Shopping at the mall makes me feel embarrassed for all the unneeded "stuff" made to keep up with the Joneses.

• emma
    11 years ago

I replace my knits every couple of years if they pill. Everything else I wear as long as I like them and as long as they look new, not faded. I met a clerk at Dillards that was telling me she wears her clothes forever no matter what the style is. That's fine, but she didn't realize how bad her jacket looked. It was as bulky as a winter coat and she was wearing it as a blazer.

• grainlady_ks
    11 years ago

I invested in a battery-powered Fabric Fuzz/Pill Remover (aka Fabric Lint Shaver) years ago to keep those knits looking good. With a light hand you can remove pills from knits with a safety razor.

I've also purchased knitted sweaters at thrift stores/garage sales for the yarn. I'll rip the sweater out and wind it into hanks on my yarn swift. Wash the hanks of yarn, hang them to air-dry and wind it on my ball winder and knit something else with it. There is a lot of high-quality yarn in a sweater (especially a man's sweater). It might cost $50-$90 (or more) for that much yarn and I pay 50-cents to $3.00 for it in the form of a sweater and a couple hours of work.

-Grainlady

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

This comment, "how bad her jacket looked. It was as bulky as a winter coat and she was wearing it as a blazer." made me wonder, what is the difference between "vintage" and "this old thing?" It seems like at certain times, it's OK to wear certain old clothes. Since I don't understand any of this trend or fashion stuff, this has always been extremely confusing, from a scientific standpoint, not that I personally care. If something looks good today, why doesn't it look good tomorrow?

I still have stuff from the 80's that had shoulder pads but I removed those when I bought them. I knew that was wrong all along.

This discussion also made me think about how many shirts I've gotten rid of because they had deodorant stains. That one always bums me out on an otherwise perfectly good shirt. No remedy I've ever tried will get rid of those.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

"This discussion also made me think about how many shirts I've gotten rid of because they had deodorant stains. That one always bums me out on an otherwise perfectly good shirt. No remedy I've ever tried will get rid of those. "

My dry cleaner told me that, in her experience, those stain are cause by overuse of deodorant/antiperspirant. She said people should put on FAR less than they do.

This post was edited by LuAnn_in_PA on Mon, Jan 7, 13 at 14:00

• emma
    11 years ago

I don't use any deodorant and I don't have a problem especially in the winter. In the summer if I get out in the heat and sweat a lot I put on a clean blouse every day. I read an article one time that if you bathed every day and put on clean clothes you didn't need deodorants. It was true for me, but I am a stay at home person. They said when antiperspirant first came out it could cause health problems because of the aluminum in it. Even if I used it I would never use spray, I don't use ariesol (sp) sprays for anything we don't need to breathe it. When I spend the day on an outing in the heat I use a powder roll on.

• jannie
    11 years ago

I have clothes from the 80's I still love and wear. Drying your clothing in a dryer is bad-it uses up electricity and or gas plus it wears out your clothes. What do you think that stuff in the lint trap is? It's fibres torn from your clothing. I line dry everything, then toss only my towels and jeans in the dryer for a short time to fluff them.

• mrspete
    11 years ago

Good question.

Years ago I read something in the newspaper in which a fashion writer commented that you should never buy anything that won't give you ten years of service. At that point, I was barely out of college and still very into "the latest style" and shopping as a hobby. Hmmm . . . The fact that I have more money now isn't just that I earn more. Anyway, my initial impression was that comment was crazy talk. Today I disagree and kind of use that as a guideline.

When I buy a new item, I tend to ask myself whether its quality will hold up for years and whether the style will look outdated shortly. I also ask myself whether this is an item that'll see plenty of use -- I don't have space to store items like sweaters only useful at Halloween.

Jeans and tennis shoes don't tend to last as long, but it's because at any given time I only own two pairs of jeans and one pair of tennis shoes, so they become worn out. I'm not so poor that I have to wear old, worn out jeans.

I have tossed my 80s sweaters with their shoulder pads and my Miami Vice jackets. Some things do have a shelf life. But I was going through my old dressy clothes, and my 15 year old claimed a gorgeous lace-and-pink satin dress to wear to prom this year. Some things are timeless.

• emma
    11 years ago

I don't pay any attention to style at all, I wear what I feel good in, what I like when I look in the mirror. From the comments I get I am doing it right. I wear colors instead of hiding myself in black to look slimmer like a lot of older over weight women do and I am over weight. I also wear jewelry every day even around the house. I like to clean up when I first get up, when I don't it depresses me to think I am to lazy to clean up. My Mom and my sister both went through this but they didn't care. I am not going there. If anyone sees me that way it will mean I have lost my mind. LOL

• vetwife1998
    11 years ago

Unlike many women I know, I hate to clothes shop, so I typically shop one brand store that has well-made, classic styles, that has a great petites section, and they have great sales.

I buy styles/colors, that are interchangeable, and can be dressed up/down with accessories. I have items that are 5 - 15+ years old, though I do buy new items each year.

However, I'm not one to hold onto something for 'if I lose 5, 10, 15 lbs.' Those items are sent to Goodwill/Salvation Army.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I buy a lot of clothes and do enjoy shopping and fashion very much. However, I keep clothes forever, first they are #1. Leaving the house clothes. These are the nicest ones.
    When they come dated, unflattering or worn, then they become #2. Wearing around the house clothes but not when entertaining- that would be #1 clothes.
    Basically, I cook, clean, whatever in category #2. but not hard gardening/painting, seriously dirty work which is # 3 old clothes.
    # 4 is rags usually cut up and put in the rag bin. These may be used for anything and may be thrown out after one use.

There is also #1.5 which is the nicest clothes but not the very best. I wear these when I teach art class and need to look nice but don't want to possibly ruin my favorite/newest things.

There is the whole category of clothes that are dressy #1's and coats, and frankly, I have a hard time parting with these.
    I have a coat from high school, (I'm 49) and wear it still in the yard. It's actually back in style now, a long puffer down. But generally, I will take these dressy clothes to a consignment store. Imo, things never really come back in style, there's always something slightly different to keep it updated.

• emma
    11 years ago

I don't like to shop at Dillards, JC Pennys and especially Kohls. If you are looking for a specific item you have to go through every designer's dept. Kohls, just has way to many racks, it seems like a "chore" to me. I had rather buy clothes at Walmart or Target and Sears is not bad.

• joyfulguy
    11 years ago

Forever ... almost.

Grandma used to say that "A patch was honourable .... but a patch upon a patch was abominable".

I must confess to having patched on patches.

For the garden stuff.

Daughter rather heavily hinted that she thought that Dad should get a new suit to see her up the aisle ... in 1989.

Caught the coat in garage door, tore a major right-angled hole in it a year or so ago. Pants also.

Drat!!

ole joyfuelled ... who says that several layers of clothing in winter requires less fuel

• nancylouise5me
    11 years ago

I don't shop at Walmart or Target for clothes. They are mass produced,look it and don't last at all due to poor quality. I would pay more in replacement costs for them rather then buying classic,quality items that last for years. For jeans and tees(working out in the garden, diy projects) JCP, Boston Proper, LL Bean are good sources. I don't wear items till they are thread bare or need patches. My MIL did this and I always thought she looked like a bag lady. Sweaters with holes, faded shirts, resewn slacks. It wasn't just with her clothes, she had thread bare towels and sheets too. She grew up poor and was raised to save, save,save. But there comes a time when things have given up their usefulness. And yes, she could afford to purchase new clothes. She just didn't care to.

• Houseofsticks
    11 years ago

I wear them as long as they look good. At 40 yrs old I have a few pricey sweaters that I bought at 16 yrs. old and they still look new. I also have been know to replace my tee shirt for summer every year. Things just aren't made like try used to be.

• tripletmom83
    10 years ago

I agree with Bumblebeez. Clothes do go out of style and can make you look dated. If you don't care, that's fine too. I love fashion and enjoy shopping. I am lucky enough to work right next door to a plaza that has a Kohl's, T.J>Maxx, and Dress Barn. Kohl's is my "go-to" for basics: jeans, dress pants for work, capris, casual tops. Also they have a huge selection of bras. If you get their credit card they send you coupons constantly, often 30%off, good for a week or more, and there are no exceptions (something that drives me nuts at other stores).
    While I have some clothes that are more than five years old.most are newer than that. A few years ago the style was shorter tops. Now they look outdated so I got rid of them. I have to wear suits or blazers everyday to work, so I have several of them. I recently went through to try to weed them out, and out of 55 jackets, there were only five that I no longer wear. My clothes never wear out. I get rid of them because they no longer fit, or I no longer love them. I go through and make a big donation twice a year, Spring and Fall, when I am changing over my clothes. I get them out from the under the bed boxes, and try everything on.
    By shopping often, almost every day on my lunch hour, I can get good bargains. I once saw a stylist on TV who said you shouldn't buy off the sale racks because that is the stuff no one wanted. Have you ever seen the way people at the mall dress? I trust my own taste and sense of style to know if something looks good or not. I would never buy something just because it was on sale, but I will never pay full price for any article of clothing, with the possible exception of shoes. A pair of shoes that don't hurt your feet can be worth their weight in gold.

• grainlady_ks
    10 years ago

tripletmom83 -

I don't say this to be mean, so please don't take it that way. Please consider it frugal food-for-thought, since this IS a money saving tips forum.

Shopping daily for clothing (even if you don't always purchase anything) is at the very least a habit (you could take a walk outdoors, read a book, knit a sweater, make Christmas gifts, as other options) or at worst it's compulsive behavior and you are a true shop-a-holic who enjoys spending money on things you don't need just for the thrill of it, using "it was on sale" as an excuse.

I belong to a generation where we were taught how to build a wardrobe on 12 basic items - sticking to a basic color pallet - and could get 50 outfits from those basics. So even if you triple that number to 36 items you can come up with 150 outfits (which would actually be exponentially more than that) Don't confuse a "wardrobe" with accumulating hoards of clothes bought at a discount.

Ask yourself why do you do it? Probably because you like nice things and you are completely surrounded by the temptation from stores, and that's easy to understand.

Consider these things....

1. Do you have a budgeted amount for clothing that aligns with your other basic expenditures, debts, and savings goals?

Unbridled spending, even for discounted items, can be a budget-busting nightmare. I have a $250 clothes budget for a YEAR, even though I could easily afford 50 times that amount - so it's not even about what you can afford. I also doubt I have 55 total items in my closet at any given time (off-season clothes are stored in the basement) - let alone 55 jackets!!!, and I look stylish and appropriate for any occasion, and I don't live my life in T-shirts and bluejeans.

Challenge - A new twist I've been trying is to "shop" every other month (other than groceries which I get once a week). You obviously don't NEED many things, and that's what I realized when I decided to eliminate shopping 6-months out of the year. I shop with more thought, focus on what's really needed instead of mindless purchases, and therefore spend less.

2. If you charge your clothes on a credit card and carry the balance, your bargains aren't bargains anymore because you are paying interest on them each month.

3. Do you have any other debt? Then clothing wouldn't even be on my radar, except for essentials, until I was out of debt.

4. Do you have a $1,000 emergency fund, 3-6 months of expenses in savings, and a fully-funded retirement account? Those are Dave Ramsey's rules, and I'll add one more.... Do you have 3-months worth of food on hand? If you've ever been unemployed or suffered a financial set-back, you would know the value of 3-months worth of food. If the answer is no, you may want to reconsider how much of your financial security for the future is tied up in clothes.

-Grainlady

• tripletmom83
    10 years ago

Hi Grainlady,
    No, I am not offended by your comments. I have read several of your other posts, so I know where you are coming from. I get that saving money for you is something of an avocation. That is great for you, and I hope that someday you will be able to enjoy all the money you accumulate.
    Yes, I shop frequently. It gets me out of the office and gives me a nice break in the day. I certainly don't purchase something everyday, but when I find something I love at a great price that is the time to buy it. I know 55 jackets is a lot. I was even surprised by that number, but I wear one every day (I am talking suit jackets and blazers, not outerwear) and it is important for me to be dressed appropriately for my work. Could I live with less? Absolutely. But when you figure that not one of those jackets cost more than $20 and most cost $10 or less, and I have accumulated them over several years it is not an outrageous amount. There are people who pay $1000. or more for a single purse.
    My husband is already retired, and I am still working because I love my job and I am a few years younger then he is. We have raised our children, educated them, and they are all married with careers, homes, and in 2 cases, children of their own. We worked hard, saved our money, and we work with a financial adviser. We don't carry balances on credit cards and only use them for rewards and in this case to get the deals at Kohl's. I don't spend more money on clothing than I can easily afford. I just get far more for my money.
    I know that it sounds frivolous to you, and that is fine. I knew I would open myself up to criticism when I wrote that. Everyone has their priorities.
    I really do admire your dedication to saving money. But keep in mind that it can be a compulsion too. Money is nothing more than a tool, and it is meant to be used at some point. I'm certainly not suggesting that anyone should live beyond their means, but life is short. If you can afford it, take a trip, buy a steak, maybe even go see a movie once in awhile. If you don't your heirs certainly will.

• grainlady_ks
    10 years ago

Fair enough tripletmom83....but those details were missing in your former post. You actually came off in the earlier post as spendthrift who could use some help with a clothes addiction, but you've clearly been able to justify that for us. The tip that we can save money on clothing by paying less than retail isn't a new concept, but the more-the-merrier - is - at least for me.

FYI - We do travel, buy steak (as long as it fits my $10/week meat budget). We have ROKU so thankfully we don't EVER have to go to a movie ever again - I don't consider going to one enjoyable for a lot of reasons. We live a very comfortable and vibrant life - debt free.

We look for value in "things", not in the numbers of them. I'm more inclined to believe it's more blessed to GIVE than "accumulate" - hence our many trips to the Food Bank and a local Mission - and not only bringing food and goods they can use, but also volunteering there. It's a whole different thing to volunteer at the Goodwill or Salvation Army than to clean out your closet and leave it at the side door.

I'm glad everyone reading this thread has now been introduced to both sides of the "coin" and different perceptions of frugality.

-Grainlady

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

"You actually came off in the earlier post as spendthrift who could use some help with a clothes addiction"

Oh... I did not get that impression at all!

" I'm more inclined to believe it's more blessed to GIVE than "accumulate""

And tripletmom83 may outgive you and I combined.

Everybody's got their something.... we all spend money on things are are important to us.
    I see no reason why tripletmom83 hadto give more details or anything to justify how she chooses to spend her money.

• tripletmom83
    10 years ago

Thanks LuAnn,
    I do wonder if anyone would have thought I had an addiction if I'd confessed to owning 55 books.
    In fact you are absolutely right, everybody's got their something. I confess I was shocked to hear how much a coworker spent on cigarettes. A neighbor must spend thousands decorating the outside of his home every year. Those may not be my thing, but I who am I to judge? And I wouldn't presume for a moment that that made them any less generous than me.

• sherwoodva
    10 years ago

Tripletmom, I agree with LuAnn; you didn't have to justify anything. You were just sharing, along with the others. I think you handled it very gracefully, BTW.

I have some clothes that I've had for ten years or more, but we have a small house with little closet space, so I take things to the thrift store and if I see a quality item, I buy it. That does not happen often. Buying at the thrift store means I am not patronizing the big box stores that contribute to politicians. Since they may not share my politics, I'd just as soon not add to their profits.

I do try to be conscientious about sewing loose buttons or fasteners, and that helps.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I agree everyone has their "thing". What someone else enjoys and spends money on, I might not. How much I give is not the issue.

I enjoy clothes and do like to shop and while I don't shop daily, I'm not bothered by someone that does. As a shopper, I know it's all in the "hunt" and daily shopping doesn't always mean purchasing.
    And that whole classic wardrobe thing has never worked for me that much. My body changes, styles change enough and it's boring!

• oklahomarose
    10 years ago

I am a J.Crew girl. Nothing makes me happier than a big box full of clothes on my front step. Getting the scissors to open the box, pulling the clothes out of tissue-paper, trying them on in the comfort of my own bedroom! Heaven. I never shop for clothes in stores anymore and haven't in years. However, I keep and wear my beautiful clothes forever. Knee high leather boots came back in fashion circa 1999 (and haven't left). I still have my first black leather pair and wear them often.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

A budget for clothing? Buy quality and dig in the back every few years for some 'shopping' in your own home, lol. I'm more Diane Keaton than J-Lo so i can wear things for years.
    Never understood the 'get rid of it if you have not worn it in a year' idea. That is just a disposable society wanting you to keep shopping and boosting the economy. I have friends that have vintage jCrew. It lasts for years for the most part.
    I work all over Manhattan and will often take long power walks during lunch. I'll buy a new cooking spice or gadget or fancy vinegar instead of an expensive lunch and have fun popping in and out of stores i've never seen. A scarf or accessory for fun. Or often a thoughtful inexpensive useful gift for my husband.

I don't think being thrifty and preachy is offensive. I just don't like social media fashionistas telling people that they have to do things their way. And it is the only way. If my friends did a sneak attack and a make-over i would be offended. I accept their hair-dos and painted nails and shoe obsessions and they should just respect my levis, cowboy boots, and black silk blazer/linen shirt. As dressy-upy as i get.

I recently found a favorite t-shirt i bought in London in '84. So many memories and now wear it to bed. Big and over-sized and really soft cotton...

• joyfulguy
    10 years ago

I asked folks at the community centre and church the other day how they liked my pants ... and they replied that they looked O.K. ... about like any other pants, they were thinking ... I think.

I said that they were part of a tailored suit that I'd bought in Hong Kong, 57 years ago, in '57.

They had cuffs ... and a piece of silk about 9 inches long from seam to seam over the front at the knees to make them slide over one's knees more easily.

They still fit ... but it's hard to breathe.

ole joyful

• christopherh
    10 years ago

My father would get all his suits in Hong Kong. He would wear them for years I guess because they were classic suits, not the latest styles.

My wife also bought classic styles for her business clothes. She could wear a 10 year old outfit and it was still stylish. Classic cuts never go out of style.

On men I think the only thing that constantly changes is the width if neckties.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I'm so glad someone wrong a new song about this.

I hit the party and they stop in that _____
    They be like, "Oh, that Gucci - that's hella tight."
    I'm like, "Yo - that's fifty dollars for a T-shirt."
    Limited edition, let's do some simple addition
    Fifty dollars for a T-shirt - that's just some ignorant _____
    I call that getting swindled and pimped
    I call that getting tricked by a business
    That shirt's hella dough
    And having the same one as six other people in this club is a hella don't
    Peep game, come take a look through my telescope
    Tryna get girls from a brand and you hella won't
    Man you hella won't
    - MACKLEMORE

That's a message kids can use in forming their priorities and ability to think on their own, and excellent statement on the ridiculousness of supposed fashion.

Back in my day, it was Styx:
    "But don't be fooled by the radio
    The TV or the magazines
    They show you photographs of how your life should be
    But they're just someone else's fantasy
    So if you think your life is complete confusion
    Because you never win the game
    Just remember that it's a Grand illusion
    And deep inside we're all the same.
    We're all the same...

So if you think your life is complete confusion
    Because your neighbors got it made
    Just remember that it's a Grand illusion
    And deep inside we're all the same.
    We're all the same...

America spells competition, join us in our blind ambition
    Get yourself a brand new motor car
    Someday soon we'll stop to ponder what on Earth's this spell we're under"

• joyfulguy
    10 years ago

"Everyone to his own taste" ...

... said the old man ... as he kissed the cow.

(That's - of the four-legged/four-teated variety).

Another of Dad's? Grandma's? sayings, from my (first) childhood days.

ole joyfuelled

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer