SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

They say that I should save money ... but ...

joyfulguy
17 years ago

About to offer a couple of hikers a ride just before Christmas, as I was pulling off of the highway ...

... I was rear-ended by a gravel truck.

The appraiser says that as it's only cosmetic damage, he won't condemn the car, so all I need to do to have it mobile again is have it able to be certified as licenseable.

They say that it'll cost something like $3000.00 or so to repair it, that the '93 Taurus station wagon with about 130,000 miles on it won't be worth that after the repairs (supposing the insurance co. will sell it back to me, and if for a reasonable price).

But it takes a great deal of scarce energy, that adds quite a lot of greenhouse gases to the atmosphere to build a new car. And scarce petroleum to make the substantial quantity of plastics that go into its construction.

Surely it would be better to repair an old one, at fairly low cost for materials, though a fairly high one in labour, to regain possibly 20% of the potential mileage in that car.

I'm thinking that should be the path to follow.

Possibly substantially because I lived for a number of years among refugee people who were forced to live on almost nothing, and consider it wasteful to scrap useful things.

Sometimes dollar cost isn't the most important consideration.

Have a marvellous New Year, everyone. Including being thankful for the comfortable life that you have (better than that enjoyed by 9/10 of the people in the world).

ole joyful

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH