SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pkguy

Car/Bike insurance; it paid to call and complain

pkguy
16 years ago

Late last summer I bought myself a 2nd hand motorcycle from our neighbors who were moving. I've owned motorcycles for over 30 years and had my bike license since 16 and never made an auto or motorcycle insurance claim. However I parked my last bike about 5 years ago when it needed extensive work and time caught up with me and it sat and sat unused to the point it wasn't worth the cost of fixing anymore which was about when this deal with neighbors came up that too good to pass.

I called about insuring it but my insurer doesn't cover motorcycles, many don't apparently. My bank however does have an insurance dept and so I got a policy through them. They were slighly less than two other companies I also called. The policy was a whopping $1800 based on my not being able to provide them with any previous motorcycle insurance history and regardless of the fact I gave them a copy of my 10 year driving clean as whistle driving abstract, I would be treated as a new motorcyclist. Since it was late summer I only had to pay a few hundred dollars to finish the year. Then my policy renewal showed up two weeks ago for that whopping $1800. I called them to ask if there was anything they could do to lower it and guess what, they did. They said that since I hadn't had any claim in the 5 months they would re rate my policy to the next better level and my cost would now be $1024. Almost an $800 savings for a simple phone call. Next year with no claims it will drop again a few hundred dollars. BTW I didn't complain complain, I asked nicely if there was anything they could do to lower the cost.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths